Kimbe is the capital of West New Britain province in New Britain, Papua New Guinea.
Kimbe is a bustling port town and is said to be the fastest growing city in the South Pacific. It is situated on Kimbe Bay which is claimed to have more than 60 percent of the coral species of the Indo-Pacific area. The weather is tropical, with only a little seasonal variation.
The surrounding area has production of oil palm, cocoa and coconut. There is also considerable logging. Most of these products are shipped out of Kimbe's port. The biggest industry is palm oil and the area has four mills to extract the oil from the oil palm fruit. As a result of government palm oil development programs over the last 35 years, many of the inhabitants of the area are not indigenous to New Britain but come from other parts of PNG from where they were resettled under the programs.
- Air Niugini has between one and three flights daily from the nation's capital, Port Moresby to Hoskins (HKN) airport, about 30 miles from Kimbe. It also operates flights to Hoskins from Rabaul, Kavieng, Lae and Madang.
There are good roads in the immediate vicinity of Kimbe and Hoskins airport, and connecting Kimbe port with the oil palm plantations. Otherwise, transport is mainly by boat.
- Diving. Scientists have identified more than 900 species of fish and 400 species of coral in the Kimbe Bay area. The best seasons are mid-August to late-December and between February and May/June. Diving is ideal for intermediate to advanced divers and there is good snorkelling as the reef tops are shallow. The clear waters are excellent for photography and there is often a chance to swim with dolphins. Walindi Plantation Resort offers land-based diving but also operates a live-aboard vessel.
- Golf. There is a golf course at the San Remo Club in Kimbe.
- Fishing. There is good fishing in the area. Fishing tours are organized by the Liamo Resort, which operates the Baia Fishing Lodge .
- Le Riche Colours, Kimbe, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Interesting souvenirs and better, designed in a modern style by Australian, Nathalie Le Riche. Her work is much in demand in PNG
- San Remo Club. Slightly colonial atmosphere, but good food.
- Palm Lodge, Kimbe, ☏ , fax: . 36 rooms with private facilities in the center of Kimbe.
- Liamo Reef Resort (a few minutes from Kimbe). 38 air-conditioned rooms overlooking the bay with cable TV, fridge, etc. Diving and fishing can be arranged.
- Palm Resort Hotel, ☏ , fax: . Older hotel close to Hoskins airport. All rooms with private facilities and air conditioning. Dive trips organized.
- Walindi Plantation Resort, Kimbe Bay, ☏ , fax: . A small resort, primarily for divers, on the shores of Kimbe Bay. Bungalows along the beach front surrounded by rain forest gardens.
- Mahonia na Dari (20 minutes west of Kimbe close to the Walindi Resort), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. The name means Guardian of the Sea and this is a marine research and coservation station. Accommodation is available. K100.