Klausen (Italian: Chiusa) is a town in South Tyrol, included in the list of "most beautiful towns in Italy". It is located along the Eisack river. Geographically, is located about thirty kilometers north of Bolzano and about ten kilometers south of Brixen (Itialian: Bressanone) in the Eisack valley (German: Eisacktal, Italian: Valle Isarco, Ladin: Val di Isarch) area .
The town and the area surrounding the monastery of Sabiona (German: Säben), was already inhabited before the time of Christ. Between 800 and 1000 AD, Sabiona became an important bishopric, but by the 10th century, the seat of power moved to Brixen. The Benedictine monastery and convent of Sabiona had an important influence on the town of Klausen. Inside the convent of the Capuchin friars there is a statue of the warrior friar Joachim Haspinger, who fought together with Andreas Hofer to counter the Bavarian advance.
In the late nineteenth and early twentieth century, Klausen was home to many artists, mainly from Germany .
25 minutes by train from Bolzano.
- 1 Schloss Branzoll. A small medieval castle.