Knaresborough is a picturesque market and spa town in North Yorkshire, approximately four miles east of Harrogate. The town is dramatically situated over the river Nidd, and is famed for the breathtaking view of it's 78ft high, triple arched railway viaduct, built in 1851.
There is a tourist information centre located at Unit 9, Castle Courtyard, Market Pl, near the castle.
- 1 Knaresborough railway station. Trains from Leeds, Harrogate and York. Northern Rail run a half-hourly train service from Harrogate to local stations at Knaresborough, Starbeck, Hornbeam Park and Pannal, continuing to Leeds. Every other service continues to York.
There are frequent bus services  around Harrogate and Knaresborough and to neighbouring towns and villages, most of them operated by Harrogate & District using modern low-floor buses. The main road from Harrogate to Knaresborough sees a bus every 8 minutes during the daytime.
By road, Knaresborough is on the A59 between Harrogate and York.
Knaresborough is compact and easily traversable on foot. Cycling is also an option and makes for a pleasant journey between Harrogate and Knaresborough for the actively inclined.
- 1 The castle. Originally built by the Normans in around 1100, left to ruin around the year 1648. Many of the historic town centre builds were constructed with looted "castle stone".
- 2 Mother Shipton's Cave and the Petrifying Well, Prophecy Lodge, High Bridge HG5 8DD, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. April 1st - October 31st: Open daily, 10.00am - 5.30pm (last entry 5pm. please check winter opening hours). "At the Petrifying Well one can see a whole host of everyday objects slowly being petrified in the cascading waters. The most popular item is a teddy bear or soft toy which usually takes between three and five months to turn to stone." Suggested visiting time: 30min - 1hr. £6.
- 3 The oldest chemist's shop in England, Market Place, Knaresborough, North Yorkshire HG5 8AG.
Walk along the river and take in the scenic views.
- Best Western Dower House Hotel & Spa, Bond End, ☎ .