Kočani is a city in Eastern North Macedonia.
From the west side you can use the 65 km (40 mi) stretch of route M-5 from the Macedonian-Bulgarian border near Delcevo. The same route continues 71 km (44 mi) to Veles, connecting to the international route E-75.
Bus transport connects the city the capital Skopje and a few other cities in the country.
Kocani is the last station of the railroad from Veles to the east.
The best ways to get around are by foot or by taxi.
- 1 Monument of Freedom (Споменик на слободата). Constructed from 1975 to 1977, this monument of open walls is located on a hill above the city. Designed by Gligor Cemerski, its walls feature mosaics depicting struggles from the Ilinden period up through communist resistance. The most significant architectural-mosaic content, one of the largest in this region, dominates from the very top.
- 2 Church of Saint George (Црква „Св. вмч. Георгиј“). The main church of the city, Saint George was completed in 1917. It features three cupolas and a freestanding bell tower and a baptistery. Located near the center of Kočani, the grounds contain a fountain.
During medieval times, under Ottoman rule, four or six defensive towers were constructed in Kočani on both sides of the Kočanska River. Today, two remain standing.
- 3 Medieval tower (right bank) (Средновековна кула), Ilindenska Street 1. This tower was built in the 16th century and stands over 15 m (49 ft) tall on the right bank of the Kočanska River. Built of stone, it has a square base. The entrance is on the second floor via a stone staircase. The upper two floors were living spaces for the local bey (chieftain). On the eastern side of the tower is a wooden balcony. The building is in good shape and houses a portion of the city library.
- 4 Clock Tower (Саат-кула). On the left bank of the Kočanska River is the Clock Tower, which is circular in shape. It is in rough condition.
- 5 Dolno Gradište. An archaeological site 6 km (3.6 mi) north of Kočani, at the base of Mount Osogovo and above Lake Gratče. It dates from Late Antiquity. While many important artifacts have been recovered from the site, such as pottery and coins, not much is visible to visitors today.
- 6 Svilanovo (Свиланово), village of Rajčani. In late April 1905, revolutionary Nikola Karev, known as the President of the Krusevo Republic, and his men had been travelling from Bulgaria back to Krusevo. On 26 April, one of his men had left the group after a disagreement to Kočani where it is believed he betrayed his group. The following day, the revolutionaries were surrounded by the local Turkish rulers. Karev instructed his men to not be taken alive. A small monument marks the spot where this occurred.
- 7 Crkvište (Црквиште), village of Morodvis. Located in the village of Morodvis, which is at the base of Plačkovica Mountain, 7 km (4.3 mi) south of Kočani. The ruins of four early Roman basilicas have been found on this site, as well as about 80 necropoli (tombs). Archaeological excavations have also discovered a church dating from the 5th century with a tomb at its center.
- 8 Zrnovci Ethnopark (Етнопарк Зрновци), village of Zrnovci. Completed in 2020 is this "ethnopark" consisting of a few homes and buildings constructed in the traditional Macedonian style containing various cultural exhibits, with many pieces contributed by Zrnovci's own inhabitants.
- 1 Ponikva (Пониква). Situated on Mount Osogovo, Ponikva is a weekend recreational destination for the Kočani region. It features two ski lifts, bungalows, hotels, two churches, campgrounds, a hunting reserve, and other related facilities.
Traditional food made by rice: lapa, sutlijash and tava oriz.
- Gratche. Near Lake Gratche. The hotel has a conference centre that can accommodate up to 100 people, a large and a small restaurant, a summer terrace, a private beach and a small nightclub. 25 rooms in all. All children under 7 years stay free of charge when using existing bedding. All children under 2 years stay free of charge for cots. All older children or adults are charged 50% of the room stay per night and person for extra beds. Maximum capacity of extra beds in a room is 2. Maximum capacity of baby cots in a room is 1. Extra beds and baby cots are available upon request and need to be confirmed by the hotel. Supplements will not be calculated automatically in the total costs and have to be paid separately in the hotel.
- Villa Alek, Ponikva, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Motel Izgrev, Ponikva, ☏ , email@example.com.
- Motel Mice, s.Trkanje, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Apartments Kosteski, Ponikva, ☏ , email@example.com.
- 1 Villa Osogovska kukja, s.Pashadzikovo, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2 House Osogovski Konak, s. Ponikva, ☏ , email@example.com.