Ko Nang Yuan is a small island very close to Ko Tao. It is famous for its diving spots and its great snorkelling beach. Many day trippers come from the islands of Ko Tao, Ko Pha Ngan, and Ko Samui, as well as from Surat Thani on the Thai mainland.
The only option is by boat. There are two types of boats available:
- Longtail boat taxi from Ko Tao. This is likely to set you back 100 baht each way, though it may be possible to get a return trip for 100 baht total. Snorkelling day trips from Ko Tao start at 250 baht, including round trip boat fare.
- Lomprayah catamaran which does twice daily trips from Chumphon to Ko Samui and Ko Samui to Chumphon.
It is also possible to come here for a snorkelling day trip from Ko Samui for about 1,200 baht, though this is of questionable value considering that while the trip may take the whole day you are likely to spend only an hour here. If you are really interested in visiting here, stay at least one night on Ko Tao.
Visitors to Ko Nang Yuan must pay a 100 baht fee (waived if you overnight).
Plastic bottles and cans are banned from the island. Buy water and other drinks in glass bottles in Ko Tao to avoid paying inflated prices on Ko Nang Yuan.
The island is tiny. The only way to get around is by walking.
- Easy Divers, ☎ . Easy Divers has an office on the island (as well as on Ko Tao and Ko Samui). Doing dives or courses with them you get a discount on your Nang Yuan Resort accommodation.
- Goodtime Adventures Zip Line, ☎ . The world's only zip line between islands! There are limited places with a new group every hour from 09:00-16:00. You can make your own way to the island and sign up for these times (operating on a first-come first-served basis) or you can book with Goodtime Adventures on Ko Tao for a dedicated trip or a half-day adventure trip that includes the zip line as well as a nice viewpoint hike, guided snorkelling of Ko Nang Yuan's famous reefs, and time to enjoy its beautiful beaches.
There is only one restaurant, at the Nang Yuan Resort. It has a selection of Thai and Western food. One of the best dishes on the menu is the barbequed fish. The restaurant takes full advantage of its monopoly on the island. Prices for food are 3-4 times what you will pay on Ko Tao, and the wait staff makes it clear that they are doing you a favour by serving you.
The only accommodation on the island is the Nang Yuan Dive Resort . Rooms range from 1,200-14,000 depending on type and season.
The island is very beautiful and is well worth it if you really want to get away from it all. A few things to consider if you want to stay here:
- The cheaper rooms, especially in peak times, fill up well in advance. Book early if you really want to stay here.
- When considering the cost, factor in the mark-up for food (4x v. Ko Tao) and drinks (> 10x for equivalent volume water v. Ko Tao).
- Many rooms may require a significant hike up the mountain on narrow stairs.
- Rooms do not have telephones (i.e., you need to walk to reception if you have a problem). No room service.
- There is zero nightlife on Ko Nang Yuan. It is not feasible/possible to travel to Ko Tao at night.
- All rooms have a TV, but only a couple of rooms actually allow viewing of any television channels. In the evening, the best you can do is take a DVD from reception (free).
Currents can be very strong.