- King Kamehameha I's birthplace in Kapaau. The king's actual birthplace is further afield and less accessible at the Kohala Historical Sites State Monument near Upolu but Kapaau holds the original bronze statue, situated in the town's Kamehameha Park, right on the main road. Each June 11, Kamehameha Day, the statue is festooned with beautiful leis.
- 1 Lapakahi State Historical Park. A partially-restored fishing village dating back 600 years but abandoned in the 1800s. The self-guided tour around the two 0.5 mile loops is pretty good. Located on Highway 270. Free.
- Pua Mau Place an early-stage, nonprofit arboretum and botanical garden in Kawaihae, on the dry slopes of the Kohala Mountain Range.
- Pololù Valley Lookout and Trail. The trailhead is at the very end of Highway 270, descending to the beach in a series of hairpin twists along the cliffs before heading up the lush valley along the Pololù Stream. The area was once cultivated with taro and rice but with the decline in farming, nature has reclaimed the land with thick vegetation.
This portion of the Big Island is home to many large resorts that lie outside of city limits, with two large neighboring resort areas, Mauna Lani and Waikoloa Beach, which feature hotels and condo/townhome rentals. There are also great bed and breakfasts, vacation rental homes and small hotels in the area.
- Kohala Village Inn, 55-514 Hawi Rd, Hawi (Across from Post Office), ☎ . Check-in: 1PM, check-out: 11AM. The Kohala Village Inn is a cozy 1950s style hotel in the middle of Hawi Town. It features beautiful gardens, affordable rates, and is in the heart of community. There are many activities in the surrounding area. $65-130.
- Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel, 62-100 Kauna'oa Dr, ☎ . Located in the bluffs above Hapuna Beach, this resort features a spa and salon, fitness facilities, extensive wedding and meeting space, an 18-hole golf course, and restaurants serving Hawaiian and Japanese cuisines.
- Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, 62-100 Mauna Kea Beach Dr, ☎ . This resort offers an extensive list of services and activities including meeting and wedding venues, fine dining options, a championship golf course, and tennis courts.
- Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows, 68-1400 Mauna Lani Dr, toll-free: . This Big Island beach front resort offers luxury suites, cultural activities, water sports, dining, spa services, championship golf and more.