Kokshetau is in the north of Kazakhstan, part of the former Soviet Union.
The capital city Astana is close, it has an international airport.
From Almaty (the only flight!), which stops in Kokshetau, unloads passengers, and then takes off for Petropavlovsk. From the airport, buses to the city center run about every 30 minutes, and taxis are plenty and inexpensive (about US$5-7).
Abundant taxis. Average trip cost US$2.
- The end of the world's biggest powerline - it starts in Ekibastusz and ends here
- Burabai (Borovoe) - Mountainous resort area 50 km (30 miles) from town. Numerous other lakes.
The Central Park has a small amusement park with a slow moving ferris wheel and other fast-moving rides.
In warmer weather, there are lots of amusements for small kids in the paved square opposite the new movie theater.
In freezing cold weather, the same paved square hosts an amazing ice-carved village, including a very long ice slide. Lots of fun, but bundle up because it gets c-c-c-cold.
- Cafe Novinka - attached to the store "Novinka" near Tsum (Univermag). Good burgers, pizza, doner kebabs and desserts, including baklava. Owned by a very nice Turkish entrepreneur.
- Hunter's Lodge
- Venezia - Excellent Shashlyk and grilled marinated meats (cooked on a real wood coal barbeque). Well worth a visit. On Gabdullin and Abai.
Eat shish kebabs (shashlyk)
Bowling Center has good restaurant, with a nice kitchen. You can enjoy good food and fun game.
Do not drink from tap, only drink bottled water. Local bottled water is also sold in 5-liter containers.
Cheap, good beer, including the ubiquitous Brazilian import, Brahma.
Nightclubs: Kazakhstan, Brooklyn.
The hotel industry is in rudimentary state. There are world-class hotels in Borovoe (Burabai) resort region. In Kokshetau, however, the hotels are built on the legacy of the Soviet Union. There are high quality apartments available.
- Zhekebatyr - 4-star hotel close to the center of the city. Nice rooms, European standard. Not cheap, but if you are staying for 1-3 nights, you will have a nice time.
Avicenna: If you will get sick having fun during winter visit Avicenna. Avicenna is a private hospital in Kokshetau.