Koksijde is a sea resort in West Flanders. It consists of Koksijde proper (with Koksijde-Bad and Sint-Idesbald as the coastal neighborhoods of the town), the seaside resort of Oostduinkerke and the rural village of Wulpen.
- 1 Tourist office, Zeelaan 303, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 1 April-30 September: 9:00-12:00 and 13:30-17:30. 1 October-31 March: 9:00-12:00 and 13:30-16:30.
Even though there is a train station called Koksijde it is easier to continue until the train station of De Panne (the terminal station of that railway line) and hop on the coastal tram to Nieuwpoort. For direct trains from Bruges, Ghent and Brussels it may be easier to get off in Ostend and hop on the coastal tram there.
Coastal trams connect the resorts of Koksijde-Bad with Oostduinkerke-Bad. Close to the sea promenade there are several places where it's possible to rent bikes, but these might be closed on weekdays in the less busy winter months.
- 1 Museum of the Abbey of the Dunes, Koninklijke Prinslaan 6-8, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 2 National Fisheries Museum, Pastoor Schmitzstraat 5, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3 Church of our Lady of the Dunes, Kerkplein. This modern church was constructed between 1958 and 1965 and is often referred to as the Cathedral of the Light as well as by its official title of Our Lady of the Dunes. The tower of the church reaches 40 meters high.
- 4 Casino, Casinoplein. The casino is one of the most important buildings in the town, located at the very heart of the municipality. It acts an entertainment venue, and throughout the week and weekends gives punters the chance to try their luck and try and win themselves dome big money. The casino also hosts a variety of cultural events and other entertainments in the high season.
- 5 Museum of Paul Delvaux, Paul Delvauxlaan 42, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Apr-Sep: daily except Mon 10.30—17:30; rest of year: Thu, Fri, weekends and holidays 10.30—17.30 - closed Jan-Mar and 25 Dec. Paul Delvaux (1897-1994) was a Belgian painter associated with surrealism and famous for his paintings of female nudes. The museum was opened in Sint-Idesbald in 1982 and provides the visitor with a general overview of Delvaux his works.
- 1 The highest dune of Belgium in Hoge Blekker. The highest dune of Belgium (33 meters high), lies in this preserved dune area in Koksijde. The dunes are a very pleasant surrounding for a walk thanks to its interesting flora and landscape.
- 2 Shrimp fishing. The coastline of Oostduinkerke is the only place in the world where horseback shrimping is still practiced. Fishery folklore is still very much alive in Oostduinkerke and nowadays the shrimpers are an important tourist attraction for visitors.
- 3 Golf Ter Hille, Hof Ter Hillestraat 2, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. November 1-March 31: 9:00 to 17:00. April 1-May 31 and September 1-October 31: 8:30 to 17:30. June 1-August 31: 8:30 to 18:30. This fairly new golf area offers two golf courses: one with 9 holes and one with 18 holes. It is located close to the historical village center of Oostduinkerke.
- Vierdaagse van de IJzer: 20–23 August 2019. A 4 day long international march/hike organized by the Belgian Defence forces. This annual 'military exercise' is open to civilians and military members, Belgians as well as foreigners. A small subscription fee is required. Lodging options are organized by the event hosts, but must be paid for by those participating. (date needs updating)
- 1 Market, Marktplein. Fridays from 7:00 or 8:00 to 13:00. Weekly market with both food and non-food stalls.
- 1 Ten Bogaerde, Ten Bogaerdelaan 10 (on the road between Oostduinkerke and Nieuwpoort), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Closed on Sundays, Mondays and Wednesday evenings.
- 2 Apropos, Jaak van Buggenhoutlaan 26, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Located in a villa built in the 1930s. €57-€75. Lunch from €22.
- 3 Mozart, Maurice Blieckstraat 6, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Menu for €21-€40, à la carte for €36-€89.
- 4 't Wa Anders (the old village grocery has been transformed in a young and modern restaurant; eclectic menu with brasserie dishes and very good fresh fishes; reservation recommended), Polderstraat 116, Oostduinkerke (on the road between Oostduinkerke and Nieuwpoort), ☏ . 12:00—14:00 and 18:00—23:00; closed on Thu. €25-€50.
- 5 't Zeilend Fornuis, Leopold II laan 200, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 't Zand (they serve the famous Verdonck ice cream and also excellent waffles and pancakes), Zeedijk 443 (on the sea promenade), ☏ . €5-€10.
- 1 HI De Peerdevisser, Duinparklaan 41, ☏ . Check-in: until 21:00. Hostelling International hostel located in the beach resort of Oostduinkerke. dorm bed €23,50 (member price).
- 2 Casino Hotel, Maurice Blieckstraat 2, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 3 Apostroff, Lejeunelaan 38, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 4 Carnac, Koninklijke Baan 62, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 5 Lehouck, Koninklijke Baan 122, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 6 Sea Horse, Zeelaan 254, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 2 Public library, Casinoplein 10, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 10:00-12:00 and 16:00-19:00. Wednesday and Saturday: 10:00-12:00 and 14:00-17:00.
- 3 Post office, Guido Gezelleplein 7, ☏ . M, W, F: 9:30—12:30 and 13:30—17:00. Tu, Th: 9:30—12:30 and 13:30—18:00. Sa: 9:30—13:00.
- Take the coastal tram and go to other seaside towns like De Panne, Nieuwpoort, Ostend, De Haan or Knokke-Heist.
- If travelling by car, the towns of Veurne and Diksmuide are close by.