East Kolkata consists of the new growth areas on the eastern side of Kolkata. It includes the two IT hubs of Kolkata, shopping emporiums and amusement parks. Luxury hotels, convention centres, speciality hospitals, condominium complexes, malls and multiplexes have come up at a rapid pace. These expansions are spearheaded by the formation of New Town and the extension of Sector V. Science City is a major attraction. Salt Lake Stadium is a major occasional crowd puller. Large number of hospitals attract patients from the metropolis and beyond.
Bidhannagar (Bengali: বিধাননগ BIH-dhahn-naw-gohr), also called Salt Lake, was developed between 1958 and 1965 to accommodate the burgeoning population of Kolkata. Over the years, the township has become an IT hub of Greater Kolkata and companies like Tata Consultancy Services and Wipro have their offices in Bidhannagar. There are also several government office buildings lining the Central Park, which is part of an effort to decongest Kolkata.
Bidhannagar is divided into five sectors, which are labelled with Roman numerals. Each sectors are further divided into blocks. Since 2015, the Bidhannagar Municipal Corporation (BMC) also covers the Rajarhat locality, which should not be confused with New Town. Rajarhat itself is an amalgamation of multiple neighbourhoods, including Baguiati, Kaikhali, Kestopur (also Krishnapur) and Teghoria.
New Town, also called Rajarhat New Town, was developed in the late 1990s and is rapidly growing under the leadership of the Housing Infrastructure Development Corporation (HIDCO). New Town was declared a "Solar City" by the Indian government and later a "Smart Green City". Several IT majors operate in the township, including TCS, Hindustan Computers Limited (HCL) and Unitech.
New Town is divided into three action areas, each labelled with Roman numerals. Each action areas are further divided into blocks. Some of the major roads in the township include Major Arterial Road (MAR) and New Town Road.
Tangra is one of the two Chinatowns in India, the other being Tiretta Bazar. The locality was once home to 20,000 ethnic Chinese, now the population has dropped to 2,000 or so. The traditional occupation of the Chinese community here had been working in the nearby tanning industry and Chinese restaurants. The area is still noted for the Chinese restaurants where many people flock to taste traditional Chinese and Indian Chinese food. Historically there were many opium dens in this area, which is illegal nowadays.
The district is extensive and still developing. Cycle rickshaws are available for short trips wherever there is a regular demand for them. Point-to-point auto-rickshaw services are there but are not as extensive or frequent as in some other parts of the metropolis.
There are various bus stops in East Kolkata, with the major being 1 International Bus Terminus (Karunamoyee, Sector-III, Salt Lake) and 2 New Town Bus Stand (AH Block, Action Area I, New Town). International bus services, including bus services to Dhaka, also operate from Karunamoyee.
- 3 , 4 and 5 — serve Beleghata, Phoolbagan and Sector III
- 6 and 7 — serve Sector I and Sector III
- 8 and 9 — serve Sector II and Sector V
- 10 , 11 and 12 — serve Garia
East Kolkata can be reached by local trains, with stops at Bidhannagar Road, Sir Gurudas Banerjee Halt, Park Circus, Ballygunge, Dhakuria, Jadavpur, Baghajatin and New Garia.
Route number 18 of the Kolkata Tram runs over Maniktala Main Road and CIT Road, with stops at Bagmari Bazar, North Road, Marwari Bagan, Kankurgachi, Bagmari Kabristan, Maniktala ESI Hospital, Housing Estate and Bidhannagar.
- 1 Biswa Bangla Gate (বিশ্ব বাংলা গেট BIHSH-shoh-BAHNG-lah GEHTT), MAR, Narkelbagan, Action Area I, New Town (Rabindra Tirtha ). An arch monument in New Town and one of the most iconic structures in Greater Kolkata. "Biswa Bangla" literally means "World Bengal". The structure consists of a single ring supported by two parabolic arches from four sides of the Narkelbagan intersection. The ring houses a restaurant and a visitors' gallery, which are surrounded by glass. There are two staircases and an elevator to reach the gallery. Decorative paintings of luminaries have been drawn on the wall inside the ring with the outer side having a glass façade to have a view of the township.
- 2 Mangaldeep (মঙ্গলদীপ MOHN-gohl-dihp), MAR, Action Area II, New Town.
- 3 Urbana, Anandapur. An apartment complex with some of the tallest buildings in Kolkata.
- 4 Fanattic Sports Museum (FSM), Ecospace Business Park, Action Area II, New Town (Ecospace ). 11AM–7PM (closed on M). A sports museum dedicated to various types of sports and the first of its kind in West Bengal. ₹10.
- 5 Mother's Wax Museum, MAR, Action Area II, New Town (Prakriti Tirtha ), ☏ . Noon-3:30PM. The Mother's Wax Museum consists of nine sections containing 18 to 19 wax models of eminent personalities. It contains models of Maradona, Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, Manna Dey, Rabindranath Tagore, Mahatma Gandhi, etc. 150.
- 6 , DJ Block, Narkelbagan, Action Area I, New Town (New Town Police Station ). A military aviation museum built by the Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority (KMDA) and is exhibiting a Tupolev Tu-142 of Indian Navy. Other exhibits for its interior and surroundings like a mannequin pilot, bombs, machinery etc. will be developed by the Navy. Apart from the aircraft on display, there is a small children's park and a coffee shop.
- 7 Science City, JBS Haldane Ave, Parama Island (Science City ). 9AM-9PM. It is one of the most spectacular science centres in India. The size of the Science City baffles first-time visitors. It features a lot of interactive science and live bioscience exhibits, as well as having Kolkata's first OMNIMAX theatre.
- 8 Vadya Vithika, IB 201, IA Block, Sector III, Bidhannagar, ☏ . 11AM–5PM (closed on Sa, Su). Run by Eastern Zonal Cultural Centre, the museum has more than 450 instruments, of which about 265 are on display in two big rooms. Free.
- 1 Subhas Sarobar (সুভাষ সরোবর SHOO-bhahsh SHAW-roh-bawr), Phoolbagan (metro: ).
- 2 Swabhumi Heritage Park, Phoolbagan. Here one can sample local arts and crafts as well as some of the food from its various stalls.
- 3 Biswa Bangla Mela Prangan (বিশ্ব বাংলা মেলা প্রাঙ্গণ BISH-shoh BAHNG-lah MA-lah PRAHN-gawn), JBS Haldane Ave (Milan Mela ). Previously known as Milan Mela, it is a permanent trade fair complex. Fairs of different kinds are held at regular intervals.
- 4 Nazrul Tirtha (নজরুল তীর্থ NOHJ-rool TIHR-thoh), Action Area I, New Town (Nazrul Tirtha ). A cultural and educational centre dedicated to the poet Kazi Nazrul Islam. The cultural centre is functioning partly as a cinema hall and open air theatre for exhibitions and performances.
- 5 New Town Mela Ground, BF Block, Action Area I, New Town, ☏ .
- 6 Rabindra Tirtha (রবীন্দ্র তীর্থ ROH-bihn-droh TIHR-thoh), MAR, Narkelbagan, Action Area-I, New Town (Rabindra Tirtha ). A cultural centre dedicated to the poet and Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore. It houses an exhibition of Tagore’s paintings, archives, a research centre, an auditorium and dormitories for students opting to conduct their research on Tagore.
Parks and stadiums
- 7 Aquatica, Kochpukur, New Town (off St 299; Thakdari ), ☏ , . Daily 10AM to 6PM. This theme water park offers visitors a cool respite from the heat and grime of city life. Aquatica has a number of rides including tremendously exciting ones like the Black Hole, the Wave Pool, Niagara Falls, surf racer, Tornado and the Aqua Dance Floor. Regular parties and Fashion shows are hosted here, especially in the winter.
- 8 Benubana Chhaya (বেণুবন ছায়া BEH-noo-bohn CHHAH-yah), EM Bypass, Baishnabghata Patuli Twp. A public park built around a lake and has a tree lined path flanked by lakes on either side. The park is a peaceful destination to spend time with family and friends. You can also take a boat ride and visit a tram restaurant inside the park. ₹10 per person.
- 9 Central Park (Banabitan (বনবিতান BOH-noh-bih-tahn)), Sector III, Bidhannagar ( ). A large hexagonal urban space in Bidhannagar and a favorite hangout spot for lovers. The park is built around an expansive water body. There is a bridge which connects on side of the lake to an island which has a pagoda. The lake serves as a haven for water birds. There are also boating facilities in a cordoned off section of the lake near the rose garden. Central Park also acts as a venue of numerous events, including the Kolkata Book Fair.
- 10 Eco Park (Prakriti Tirtha (প্রকৃতি তীর্থ PROHCK-(r)ih-tih TIHR-thoh)), MAR, Action Area II, New Town (Eco Park , Prakriti Tirtha ), ☏ . Noon–4:30PM. A 480-acre landscaped park surrounding a 104-acre water body. Contains replicas of famous structures. Activities include paddleboats, rowboats, duo cycles, birdwatching, etc. Non-residents require permission to enter this and all other parks in New Town. ₹20.
- 11 Kishore Bharati Krirangan (কিশোরভারতী ক্রীড়াঙ্গন KIH-shohr-vah-roh-tih KRIH-rrahng-gawn), Santoshpur. Commonly known as Jadavpur Stadium or Santoshpur Stadium, it is a 13-acre sports complex. It has a stadium that can accommodate 12,000 spectators and hosts lower division matches of the Kolkata Football League. It has a swimming pool with training facilities for children.
- 12 Nalban Boating Complex, Sector IV, Bidhannagar (Nicco Park ), ☏ . Nalban (নলবন NAWL-bohn), as the name suggests, is mainly lakes and creeks (নল nawl) fringed by groves (বন bohn). It is a beautiful picnic spot for families, who would like to spend few hours in the lush greenery and placid lake. It is tucked away from the hustle and bustle of city life. Its unpolluted environment offers a respite and soothes the visitors.
- 13 Nicco Park (নিকো পার্ক NIH-koh PAHRCK), Sector IV, Bidhannagar (Nicco Park ), ☏ , . It is the Disneyland of West Bengal with its various adventure rides. Opened in 1991, Nicco Park is one of the biggest amusement parks in the country and has innovative entertainment for all age groups. This amusement park offers fun for children as well as adults and draws crowds from Kolkata, especially on the weekends. A decommissioned MiG-21 bomber is on display here.
- 14 Salt Lake Stadium (Vivekananda Yuba Bharati Krirangan (বিবেকানন্দ যুবভারতী ক্রীড়াঙ্গন BIH-beh-kah-nohn-doh JOO-boh-vah-roh-tih KRIH-rrahn-gawn)), JB Block, Sector III, Bidhannagar (). A major occasional crowd puller, the stadium has the second largest non-auto racing capacity in the world and the largest in the Indian subcontinent. It is used for association football matches and athletics. The stadium was built in 1984 and holds 120,000 in a three-tier configuration.
- 1 Apsara Shopping Arcade (at the crossing of EM Bypass and Prince Anwar Shah Rd Connector).
- 2 Axis Mall, CF Block, Action Area-IC, New Town, ☏ . Shopping mall, restaurants, Bioscope multiplex with four screens. Restaurants include Aaheli (4F), Addiction (4F), Café Coffee Day (2F), Calcutta Retro (5F), Mehak-e-Punjab (4F).
- 3 Charnock City, KB-26, Sector-III, Bidhannagar, ☏ .
- 4 City Centre, 3rd Avenue, DC Block, ☏ . Restaurants include KFC (1F, Block A), Pizza Hut (1F, Block A), Afraa Restaurant (7F, Block G), Caught n Bowled (4F, Block B), Copper Chimney (3F, Block C), Haka (2F, Block E) and Kaafila (3F, Block B).
- 5 City Centre II, Action Area-IID, New Town. There's Inox at third floor. Restaurants include KFC (GF, Block C), McDonald's (GF, Block A), Pizza Hut (GF, Block C), Gamma's World Cuisine (2F), Massekah (2F, Block B), The Orient (GF) and Zion Lounge (GF).
- 6 Down Town Mall, Uniworld City, Action Area-III, New Town.
- 7 Hiland Park Metropolis Mall, Santoshpur, ☏ . Has a ten-outlet eatery.
- 8 Home Town, BG Block, New Town, ☏ .
- 9 Mani Square, 164/1, Maniktala Main Rd (EM Bypass). Restaurants include KFC (3F), McDonald's (GF), Flame & Grill (4F), Haka (4F), Khandani Rajdhani Restaurant (4F), Machan (4F), Mio Amore (4F), The Shack (4F) and Square 4o5.
- Orchid Point, 3/1A, UC Banerjee Rd, Kankurgachi. It houses most major brands.
- 10 Silver Spring Arcade, EM Bypass. Restaurants include Mainland China (3F), Masque (3F), Oh! Calcutta (3F) and Sigree (1F).
- 11 Upohar Town Centre, Upohar Housing Complex, New Garia (local: , metro: ). Spencer's and other outlets.
- 12 Patuli Market (Bengali: ভাসমান বাজার VAH-shoh-mahn BAH-jahr), Baishnabghata Patuli Twp. Opened in 2018, it is the first artificial floating market in India with 280 shops housing on 114 boats.
- 13 VIP Bazaar, Picnic Garden Rd, Tiljala.
Eat and drink
Major restaurant chains include Haldiram's (P420, VIP Road, Kaikhali).
- 1 Byepass Dhaba. Noon-1AM. North Indian.
- Charnock's, KB 26, Sector-III, Salt Lake, ☏ , . Noon-4PM, 7:30PM-10:30PM. Continental, Bengali, North Indian cuisine. Drinks served.
- Mishra's Bar & Restaurant. Bar with good food arrangements. North Indian, South Indian, Continental, Chinese cuisine.
- DG 1, Sector-II, Salt Lake, ☏ , . 9AM-11PM.
- 2 IB-157, Sector-III, Salt Lake (Near Tank 14), ☏ . 11AM-10PM.
- 3 Beijing Restaurant, 77/1, Christopher Rd, Tangra, ☏ , . Chinese cuisine. Drinks served.
- 4 Big Boss, 54C Matheswartala Rd, ☏ , . Chinese cuisine. Drinks served.
- 5 China Town, Tangra. Chinese cuisine.
- Golden Joy, 50/1, Matherswar Tala Rd (Near Gobinda Khatick Post Office), ☏ , . Chinese cuisine. Drinks served.
- Kafulok, 47, Govinda Khatick Rd, ☏ , . Chinese cuisine. Drinks not served.
- Kim Ling, 13, South Tangra Rd, ☏ , . Chinese cuisine. Drinks not served.
- Ming Garden Chinese Restaurant, 50/2, Matheswartala Rd, ☏ , . Chinese cuisine. Drinks served.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:|
|Mid-range||₹1000 to ₹3000|
- 1 Udayachal Tourism Property, DG Block, Sector II, Bidhannagar (adjacent to the office of West Bengal Tourism), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Run by West Bengal Tourism. It features colour television, laundry, restaurant, room and Wi-Fi services.
- 2 Arunadoy Guest House, 173/1 Barakhola, Mukundapur, ☏ , . ₹250 per non-AC room.
- 3 Ashirbad Guest House, 264 Barakhola, Mukundapur, ☏ , , . ₹300 per double-bedded room, ₹350 per triple-bedded room, all non-AC rooms.
- 4 Debi Guest House, 175 Barakhola Mukundapur, ☏ , , . ₹500 per double-bedded non-AC room, ₹800 per double-bedded AC room.
- Eastern View Hotel, 185/9 Santoshpur Ave (nr Jora Bridge), ☏ . Check-out: noon. 1-star with six rooms. Amenities include cable TV. Government approved.
- Maa Tara Guest House, 175/1 Barakhola, Mukundapur, ☏ , , . ₹400-500 per double-bedded non-AC room.
- Meghalaya Guest House, 138 Barakhola, Mukundapur, ☏ . ₹300 per double-bedded non-AC room.
- Step In, G6 Tagore, Ruby Park, Kasba, ☏ .
- 5 Uttam Guest House, 1563 Mukundapur Rd, ☏ , . Check-in: 9AM, check-out: 9AM. ₹500-₹600 per double-bedded non-AC room, ₹800-₹900 per double-bedded AC room.
- Apanjan, 3 Shanti Park, Panchasayar, ☏ , . Around ₹200 per day/ non-AC room.
- Atithi, 7 Sonali Park, Panchasayar, ☏ . ₹250-350 per double-bedded non-AC room.
- Bina Bhawan, 15A, Shanti Park, Panchasayar, ☏ , . ₹300-350 per double-bedded non-AC room.
- Maity Villa, 27 Sonali Park, Panchasayar, ☏ . ₹300-500 double-bedded non-AC room; ₹800-1200 for double-bedded AC room.
- Ricko, 22 Shanti Park, Panchasayar, ☏ . ₹300-600 per double-bedded non-AC room.
- Shib Bandhalay, 21 Shanti Park, Panchasayar. ₹400 per double-bedded non-AC room.
- 6 Aquatic Palace, NP 222, Sector V, Bidhannagar, ☏ .
- 7 Sun & Services, GC 35, Sector III, Bidhannagar, ☏ .
- 8 Lee International, 53D/1, Tiljala Rd, ☏ , , email@example.com. Check-out: Noon. ₹2595-4095.
- 9 NRI Residency, CIT Rd, Kankurgachi, info@NRIResidency.com. Offers guesthouse-style accommodation with clean and large AC rooms with Western-style private bathrooms. ₹1050-1200.
- 10 Tiger Inn, 1686 Lashkrhat, Tagore Park (Block -1) Naskar Hat, Kasba (off EM Bypass), ☏ .
- 11 Alcove Guest House & Service Apartment, Block DL-39, Bidhannagar, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. All rooms with air-conditioning, TV and private bathroom. Breakfast complimentary, free Wi-Fi access. They also have guest houses at other locations in Bidhannagar and Kolkata. ₹2,250 for serviced room.
- 12 Duhita Guest House, AA 39, Bidhannagar, ☏ , email@example.com. Operating from 1987.
- 13 FabHotel Shivangan, VIP Rd, Baguiati, ☏ . ₹1,900-2,800.
- 14 Harry Guest House, AE 329, Bidhannagar, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Operating since 1992, it is a fully air-conditioned guest house.
- 15 Next Generation Guest House, Plot No 255, AD Block, Sector-I, Bidhannagar, ☏ , email@example.com.
- 16 Orbit Hotel, RB 29, VIP Rd, Raghunathpur, ☏ . Check-in: noon, check-out: 11AM.
- 17 ITC Sonar Kolkata, 1, JBS Halden Ave, ☏ , fax: .
- 18 JW Marriott Hotel Kolkata, 4A, EM Bypass, Tangra, ☏ . ₹26,550.
- 19 The Pearl Hotel Kolkata, 35Z, EM Bypass, Beleghata (opposite Salt Lake Stadium), ☏ .
- 20 Vivanta Kolkata EM Bypass, 1930, Rash Behari Ave Connector, ☏ . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: noon. ₹4490-5600.
- 21 The Fern Residency, 204, MAR, Rajarhat, ☏ . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: noon. ₹3,000-4,000.
- 22 Golden Tulip, 2nd Cross Rd, DD-19, 3rd Ave, DD Block, Sector-I, Salt Lake, ☏ .
- 23 Hotel The Sojourn, Plot KB 23, Sector-III, Salt Lake (Beside of Salt Lake Stadium opposite Gate No 4), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. ₹3450-4400.
- 24 Hyatt Regency, EM Bypass, JA-1, Sector-III, Salt Lake, ☏ , fax: .
- 25 Indismart Hotel, International Tower X-1,8/3 Block EP, Salt Lake Electronics Complex, Sector-V, Salt Lake, ☏ , , fax: , email@example.com.
- 26 Monotel, DM-2, Sector-V, Salt Lake, ☏ . Check-in: Noon, check-out: 11AM. ₹3000-5000.
- 27 Novotel, CF 11, Action Area-IC, New Town, ☏ .
- 28 O2 Hotel, VIP Rd, Kaikhali, ☏ , .
- 29 The Sonnet, Block DD, Plot No. 8, Sector-I, Salt Lake, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 30 The Stadel, Gate 3, Salt Lake Stadium, Sector-III, Salt Lake, ☏ .
- 31 Swissotel, City Centre, Action Area-IID, New Town, ☏ , email@example.com.
- 32 Westin Kolkata Rajarhat, MAR (South-East), Action Area-II, New Town (opposite Eco Park), ☏ . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: noon.
There's 10.5 km (6.5 mi) of Wi-Fi zone along MAR, from Kolkata Airport to Sector V.
- 1 Apollo Gleneagles Hospital, 58 Canal Circular Rd, EM Bypass, ☏ .
- 2 Charnock Hospital, BMC 195, MAR, Rajarhat, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3 Desun Hospital, 720, EM Bypass, ☏ , email@example.com. Open 24 hours, even during holidays. A superspeciality hospital in East Kolkata with modern equipment.
- 4 ESI Hospital, CIT Rd.
- 5 Medica Superspeciality Hospital, 127, EM Bypass, Mukundapur.
- 6 Ruby General Hospital, Kasba Golpark, EM Bypass, ☏ .
- 7 Tata Medical Centre, 14, MAR (E–W), DH Block, Action Area I, New Town.
- 8 Purba Jadavpur Police Station, Mukundapur, ☏ .
- 9 Patuli Police Station, ☏ .
- 10 Bidhannagar East Police Station, Canal Side Rd, AL Block, Sector-II, Bidhannagar, ☏ .
- 11 Bidhannagar South Police Station, JC Block, Sector-III, Bidhannagar, ☏ .
- 12 New Town Police Station, New Town Rd, DJ Block, Action Area I, New Town, ☏ .
- 13 Rajarhat Police Station, ☏ .