Kolonia is a city on the island of Pohnpei in the Federated States of Micronesia. The municipality of Kolonia has a population of around 6,500 people, but it is the centre of an urban area of approximately 13,000 people, including the nearby suburbs of Sokehs Island, Nett and Porakied village.
Pohnpei International Airport is 1 km from Kolonia town via a causeway.
United Airlines flies to Pohnpei from Guam (via Chuuk), and from Hawaii (via the Marshall Islands). The regular service is United's "Island Hopper" which flies three times a week in each direction: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from Guam; Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays arriving from Hawaii. Note that due to the international dateline, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday flights leave Honolulu on Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning.
There is also a Sunday night/Monday morning flight Guam-Chuuk-Pohnpei and return, arriving in Pohnpei before midnight on Sunday and returning to Guam early in the morning.
There are no buses in Kolonia, but local taxis are everywhere and fill up with passengers along the route. Cost anywhere in Kolonia including to the airport is $1. There are a number of local taxi companies, using radio communication, and taxis can be ordered by phone. This does not, however, guarantee exclusive use of the taxi during its journey.
There are numerous rental car companies, and most have a desk at the airport. Rental cars are not very cheap, generally around $60 a day or more, not including gas.
The price of gas is around $5 a gallon, and is generally 50-75¢ a gallon more expensive than Guam or Hawaii.
- 1 Ocean View Plaza, ☏ . Probably somewhere close to a two star hotel, it is neither new, nor old. It serves as a decent place to sleep. All the rooms feature kitchenettes, air conditioning, private balconies, full bath, cable TV, telephones and laundry service.
- The PCR Hotel, ☏ . 10 rooms with AC, TV, internet connection, fridge and a restaurant and small private marina located downstairs. The Pohnpei Surf Club is based here. Land and ocean tours anywhere on the island and off shore. Snorkeling, surfing, sport fishing and all equipment included.
- Seven Stars Inn. One of the popular hotels in Kolonia. Rooms are comfortable and internet usable. Food in the restaurant is very good. It is a short walk into the centre of town. Credit cards accepted.
- United States, ☏ , fax: . M-F 8AM-5PM, ACS Tu W 8:30AM-noon.
- Japan Phone +691 320-5465 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: 691-320-5470 Business Hour:s M-F 08:30-12:00 & 13:00-17:15 Visa Hours: M-F 09:00-12:00 & 13:00-16:30