The nearest airport with commercial flights is the Senai International Airport in Senai, which is well-connected to the rest of Malaysia, including several daily flights to Kuala Lumpur by AirAsia. An alternative option would be to fly into Singapore, which is better connected internationally than Johor Bahru, though with the added hassle of having to pass through customs and immigration twice.
There are frequent buses (Maju 227, Causeway Link 6B, Transit Link 41) between downtown Johor Bahru's Jalan Wong Ah Fook (the bus stop is opposite City Square) and Kota Tinggi's bus terminal at Jalan Niaga Utama. The Maju 227 bus actually originates and terminates at Johore Bahru's Larkin Bus Terminal. Causeway Link no. 66 bus plies between Larkin Bus Terminal and Kota Tinggi. The average frequency of the Maju 227 bus is every 15 minutes and the one-way fare between City Square and Kota Tinggi is RM4.80. The journey takes about 1 hour or more, depending on the bus number and traffic conditions. Generally, buses with "Kota Tinggi" in large letters, and without other smaller stops written on the front, tend to travel faster. There are non-stop Mara Liner coach services four times a day from Johor Bahru's Larkin Bus Terminal to Kota Tinggi at 10:30, 13:00, 17:00 and 22:00, en route to Bandar Penawar. The one-way fare is RM 4.00.
Bus terminal in the town is:
- 1 Tun Seri Lanang Bus and Taxi Terminal
The town is small enough to walk around.
- 1 Kampung Makam (Tomb Village) (1.5 km northeast of the bus terminal). The other tourist attraction of Kota Tinggi. Its name was probably derived from the presence of several Malay royal tombs of historic significance. Th most prominent of these tombs belongs to Sultan Mahmud, the 10th ruler of the Johor Sultanate. There are fort-like stone walls, resembling the remnants of a building or palace, in the same complex. The walls are of stone and corals while the mortar is made of a mixture of pounded cockle shells and other materials.
- 2 Firefly Valley Leisure Park, Jalan Kota Tinggi.
- 3 Kota Tinggi Museum (Muzium Kota Tinggi), Jalan Kota Tinggi-Pengerang. The museum traces the history of the Johor Sultanate and exhibits paintings, historical dioramas, weaponry and other objects.
- 4 Kota Tinggi Town Square (Dataran Kota Tinggi), Jalan Tun Sri Lanang. Public square.
- 5 Kota Tinggi Waterfalls (Air Terjun Kota Tinggi), Sungai Pelepah, Gunung Panti Recreational Forest, 81900. Waterfalls.
- 6 Sungai Bang JPS Recreational Park (Taman Rekreasi JPS Sungai Bang), Jalan Niaga 3, 81900. Park.
Take a cruise to see the fireflies amongst the mangroves is a good idea.The fare is RM20 per person and the cruise lasts about 45 minutes.
- 1 Kota Tinggi Firefly Park (Taman kelip-kelip), Jalan Kota Tinggi,81900,Johor. Johor Bahru Kota Tinggi river is a rare breeding ground and habitats for fireflies. Thousands of fireflies spread over the banks of the river and correspond to the stars, creating a unique landscape. It is an attraction not to be missed when traveling to Johor.
- KINI Supermarket
- Econsave Supermarket
- 1 Heritage Mall, Jalan Seri Warisan 2, 81900. Shopping mall.
- 2 KiP Mall Kota Tinggi, No. 1, Jalan Maju, 81900 (Take KT-001 bus from Tun Sri Lanang Terminal and alight at the supermarket), ☏ . Supermarket integrated with wet market.
- 3 Kota Tinggi Public Market (Pasar Awam Kota Tinggi), Pusat Perdagangan. Public market.
- 4 Plaza Kota Tinggi, Jalan Tun Sri Lanang (Take KT-001 bus from Tun Sri Lanang Terminal and alight at the shopping mall). Shopping mall.
- Belangkas Mahkota, Jalan Tun Sri Lanang (near the bridge, next to Esso gas station).
- Hidangan MZ, Jalan Johor (sitting next to the Petronas gas station).
- Bangkok Village Restaurant, Jalan Tambatan (serving Thai and Malay cuisines).
- p/s: One alfresco Chinese dining restaurant almost facing the firefly tour jetty, and the other airconditioned restaurant next door. Across the road from the two restaurants is a Hawkers Centres where about 20 individual food stalls selling Chinese and Malay foods at reasonable price until about 22:00.
- Fast food outlets
- McDonald's at Jalan Niaga (near Plaza Kota Tinggi)
- Secret Recipe: at Jalan Niaga (near Plaza Kota Tinggi)
- Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC): at Jalan Mawai (near the traffic lights)
- Pizza Hut: at Jalan Niaga (sitting next to KINI Supermarket)
- Domino's Pizza: near Heritage Mall
- Warung Makanan Laut Abdullah, Kampung Seluyut (10km from Kota Tinggi to Desaru), ☏ . specialist in cooking fresh water prawns
- 1 G Waterlilies Hotel, No. 2, Jalan Niaga 2, Pusat Perdagangan. Hotel.
- Hotel Mayres, No 29 Jalan Tun Habab, ☏ . 12-storey, 85-room hotel. Located only 500m north-west of the bus terminal. All standard and superior double rooms are furnished with individual air-conditioning, colour TV, private bath with shower and complimentary tea making facilities. The deluxe double rooms and family suites are furnished with individual air-conditioning, colour TV, private bath with shower, complimentary tea making facilities, minibar, hair dryer, iron & ironing board and complimentary mineral water. Facilities and service: Coffee house, lounge, beer garden, conference rooms, ballroom, laundry, safe deposit box, free covered car park, local tour arrangement, WiFi (coffee house only) Rates per room per night RM 105++ to 145++ for a double room and RM 195++ for a family suite.
- Hotel Sri Kota, No 47, 48, 49, Jalan Jaffar (facing the Firefly tour jetty and the river), ☏ . 4 storey , all equipped with Air-conditioning, hot shower, TV and no telephone, Internet is available. RM55 for double bed, RM75 for one King and One single, RM95 for two King Bed Rooms.
- Home of Peace (Boutique Rest House), 29 Jalan Intan 2, Percint Intan, Taman Daiman. 2 storey , living room & master bedroom air-conditioning,TV room,kitchen, living room decorated with vantage furniture RM200 (4 people) to RM350 (fan) & RM400 (air-con) comfortable for 8 to 12 adults.
- 2 Minyue Pottery (民月陶窑), Lot 4198, Jalan Lombong Air Terjun. Pottery making.
- Desaru, local beach resort to the south of Kota Tinggi