Kribi is a popular beach town for tourists and locals in Coastal Cameroon.
Besides tourism, Kribi is an important commercial center. It serves as the end terminus for the Chad-Cameroon Oil pipeline, and then has a power plant, port, sawmills, and offshore natural gas extraction, which kind of tempers the environment. Besides the beaches, people like to visit Kribi to enjoy roasted fish that are purchased fresh off the boat from itinerant fishermen, as well as to see the Kribi lighthouse, Lobe Falls, and pygmy peoples who reside inland.
- 1 Kribi Lighthouse (Phare de Kribi) (on the southside of town). 10AM-10PM Daily. It was built by German colonialists in 1906 and has a white base and red top at the outlet of the Kineke River.
- 2 Lobe Falls (Chutes de Lobé) (7 km S of Kribi off of P8), ☏ . 8AM-8:30PM Daily. This is a popular point of interest where the Lobe River empties into the Atlantic Ocean via a fall. You can arrange to paddle around in some boats below the falls through a local operator.
- 1 Public Beach Kribi. Beautiful beach with coconut palms and rocks, but unfortunately a lot of litter too.
- 2 Grand Batanga Beach (Plage de Grand Batanga (or possibly Paradise Beach)). This is an even more pristine beach than the first because it's away from the urban area, although the port and offshore oil platforms are in view. What might be fun is to keep driving south on P8 until you reach the deep sea port in about 17 km, because the roadway hugs the coastline during this stretch for scenic views. You could drive all the way to Campo, 72 km away, but the highway cuts inland through here and it would mean a lot of backtracking.
Local vendors will roast up fish you purchase from local fishermen. Or there are plenty of restaurants around.
- 1 Pieds dans l'Eau (just south of lighthouse), ☏ . Crepes, breakfast, chicken/fish dishes on the beach. Chicken/Fish dishes ~$7-9.
- 1 Hôtel Gites de Kribi (1-2 km south of town on east side of P8), ☏ . It may not be 5-star class, but it's a homey place with ocean views from the rooms, a restaurant/bar, pool, spa, a/c, wifi, free breakfast, and pet policy. It's right across the road from the beach. ~$53.
- 2 Hotel le Lagon Resort (between Kribi downtown and Lobe), ☏ . This one is pretty plush. Oceanfront property with infinity pool overlooking the beach, brunch, gym, TV, a/c, wifi, modern furnishings. Prices a little higher than other options possibly.
The ocean has a strong undertow at Kribi, so be careful of that.