Kuinre, believed to have been founded around 1100 AD, was a separate municipality until 1973, when it became a part of IJsselham, which in turn merged into the municipality of Steenwijkerland in 2001.
Kuinre is a former coastal town with a very rich history. Back in the days of the Zuiderzee, Kuinre's harbour was one of the most important ports of the Zuiderzee. After completion of the Noordoostpolder Kuinre became landlocked unlike almost all of the other old coastal towns of the former Sea ; companies, shops, and fishermen went out of business. Nowadays you can still see and visit the old harbour completely landlocked.
Also in this beautiful old town you can find the ruins of an old castle in the forest "Kuinderbos".
From Amsterdam, Almere, Heerenveen and Sneek
To get to Kuinre by car, use the A6 highway, which connects to the A7 between Heerenveen and Sneek in the north, and the A1 near Naarden in the south. Use exit 15 on the A6 (Emmeloord), to turn onto the N351 driving away from Emmeloord. You'll soon find yourself on a T-intersection, where you should turn left to stay on the N351. Following this road will take you directly to Kuinre.
To get to Kuinre from Enschede, use the A35 followed by the N35 to head west. Once the N35 meets the A28 in Zwolle, turn right heading for Meppel. Near Meppel, on Knooppunt Lankhorst, head onto the A32. After some driving, use exit 8 and turn left on the roundabout onto the N351. Follow this road through Wolvega until eventually you reach Kuinre.
- Henric de Cranestraat, Henric de Cranestraat. Kuinre's historical main street, filled with historical buildings, such as the former Waag and town hall.
- 1 Waag (Former town hall), Henric de Cranestraat 38. Neoclassical building built in 1776, which served as the waag (weighing building) until the nineteenth century, when its remaining function was that of town hall. The building has since been renovated in 1981 and 1995.
- 2 Castle Ruins.
- 1 Warenhuis Kuinre, Henric de Cranestraat 9, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 2 Superrr Kuinre, Burchtstraat 5, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mon-Fri: 8:30AM - 6PM, Sat: 8:30AM - 5PM.
- 1 Moaties Bar, Henric de Cranestraat 4.
- 1 Groepsaccomodatie de Waker (Groupaccomodation de Waker), Henric de Cranestraat 191, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 2 Camping/Restaurant Crandeburcht de Wip Kip, Kuinderweg 52, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 PostNL Postkantoor (Post office), Henric de Cranestraat 9, toll-free: .
|Routes through Kuinre|
|Emmeloord ←||S N||→ Wolvega → Appelscha|