Kundapura is at the centre of Karnataka's coastal belt and gives visitors the possibility to easily explore the interesting and diverse surroundings. Due to its well organized local bus system Kundapura allows you to reach the Western Ghats, Karnatakas Hinterland and other lovely beach strips quickly. Further mobility is secured by the train station which has frequent trains to Mumbai, Goa and Kerala.
The Western Ghats are India's bio-diversity hot spot and a nice, chilly place in the hot, tropical southern part of the Subcontinent. Astonishing wildlife, beautiful tea and coffee plantations, unspoiled forests and a green, hilly landscape will make sure that your trip to this mountain range will become one of your favorites. The mild climate will ease your body and leave you non sweating but this region is much more than just relaxing. Trekking is a must for every sporty tourist and maybe you will find some hidden waterfall which invites you to take a refreshing shower.
Kundapura has some of the best bus services found in India, with neat, clean and luxurious buses plying every minute on the Kundpura-Udupi-Mangalore route (NH-17). Even A/C buses are available in this route. The Kundapura Bangalore route is services by a number of modern A/C Volvo and sleeper services.
The nearest airport is Mangalore (100 km far from Kundapur), which has flights from Bombay and Bangalore and an international flight from the Gulf.
The nearest railway station is Kundapura, which is almost 3 km from the heart of the city (Main Bus stand). Frequent bus service is available to the railway station. This station will connect Madgaon (Goa), Mumbai in north and Mangalore, Kannur, Thiruvananthapuram with the frequent train services.
In Kundapur one can see Sri Kundeshwara Temple from which the name "Kundapur" has came, Sri Venkataramana Temple which is famous as Padu Tirupathi and also Kote Hanumantha Temple which is coolest riverside temple.
Kundapura Railway Station (KUDA) is a major railway station on Konkan Railway route. For the outside visitors/devotees this is alighting point to visit 3 important ancient temples in the region. Shree Vinayaka Temple, Anagudde (7 km), Shree Mookambika Temple, Kollur (38 km) & Shree Sharadamba Temple, Shringeri (less than 80 km).
- 1 Kodi Beach (1 km from Kundapur.). A very lovely beach with white sands and absolute privacy.
- Koteshwara Kotilingeshwara Temple (5 km south of Kundapur on NH 17).
- 2 Maravanthe beach (12 km from Kundapur.).
- Mookambika temple, Kollur (is 45 km away from Kundapur.).
- Turtle Beach (14 km from Kundapur).
- Sri Hatti yangadi siddi vinayaka temple (5 km from Kundpur.).
- Sri Laxmi Venkatesha Temple (One km from Kundapur.).
- Sri Siddhi vinayaka Temple, Kumbashi (3 km from Kundapur.).
- Anegudde Temple.
- Watch Yakshagana. It is a popular local traditional theatrical art.
- Mande Haale (Helmet or cap made of dried palm tree leave).
- Hotel JK. Good food. Cool non-veg stuff.
- Hotel Parijatha, near Shenoy Park. Pure veg.
- Hotel Sharon. Harshs Refreshments- Shastri Circle. Pure veg.
- Maiya Canteen. Pure vegetarian restaurant.
- Shetty Lunch Home, Main Road, near Bus Stand, ☏ . land before 3PM for lunch. Chicken ghee roast was invented here and is still the best in the country. Call one hour in advance to get it custom prepared. Also excellent munchy fish, ghee rice, and silver fish fried in coconut oil.
- Venkateshwara Bhavan (center of town). Authentic vegetarian coastal food.
- Sharon International Hotel, at the division of the road, one towards Kundapur old bus stand and the other towards Bhatkal. There is one more hotel diagonally opposite Sharon. Prices are quite reasonable and the rooms clean.