The earliest records of Kuressaare is a document written in 1381 that mentions that the town housed the fortified residency of a local Catholic bishop and that it was the main center for the islands of western Estonia. Kuressaare used to be known as Arensburg, and it received city status in 1563. The town has a population of around 13,000 (2018).
- Tourist Information Centre, Tallinna 2, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Kuressaare Airport (URE IATA) (3 km from the town). Offers regular flights to Ruhnu island, Stockholm and Tallinn.
Several buses run daily between Kuressaare and Tallinn's main bus station. The trip takes 4 hours and traverses the strait between the mainland and the islands by means of a 30-minute ferry.
Bus schedules are easily available online – read more under Estonia#Get around.
- 1 Saaremaa Museum / Castle (Kuressaare Episcopal Castle). May–Aug daily 10:00–19:00, Sep–Apr W–Su 11:00–18:00. The fortress is well preserved and located in the city center. €6.
- Health spas. The city has a large number of spas.
- Restaurant La Perla, Lossi 3, ☎ . M-F 12:00-23:00, Sa Su 13-23:00. Italian restaurant.
- Cafe Kessu, Tallinna 16, e-mail: email@example.com. M-F 08:00-19:00, Sa 09:00-19:00, Su 10:00-18:00.
- Hesburger, Tallinna 88, Kudjape, Lääne-Saaremaa vald, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 10:00–21:00. Finnish fast food chain
- 1 Server Backpackers, Tolli 7, ☎ . Dorm from €15.
- 2 Guesthouse Laurits, Kauba 5, ☎ . Excellent ratings. From €17.
Mid-range and splurge
- Arensburg Boutique Hotel & Spa, Lossi 15, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Georg Ots Spa, Tori 2, ☎ , , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Grand Rose Spa, Tallinna 15, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Johan Spa, Kauba 13, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Linnahotell, Lasteaia 7, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Saaremaa Spa Hotels: Meri, Ruutli & Saaremaa Valss. Three spa hotels in the town.
- Pärnu – Estonia's 4th largest city and the summer capital of Estonia, popular for its balneo-therapy complexes and spa centres, surrounded by numerous beaches.