Lötschental is in the canton of Valais in Switzerland. It is one of the most beautiful valleys in Switzerland. The larger villages are: Ferden, Kippel, Wiler and Blatten. It is also an access point to the Jungfrau-Aletsch UNESCO heritage site.
The Swiss German spoken in this valley is quite different from the variants spoken in other parts of the Valais.
Take the hourly RegioExpress train between Berne and Brig, and hop off at Goppenstein. Note that the InterCity trains all pass via the new tunnel, which bypasses Goppenstein. From there a post bus will take you to any of the villages. Alternatively you can take the Regio train between Brig and Sion and get off at Gampel-Steg. From there take the same post bus. However more buses run from Goppenstein than from Gampel-Steg. The buses will run to Blatten in winter and to Fafleralp further up in the valley in summer.
The bus along the valley is the only means of public transport available to get around. It runs from Goppenstein to Blatten in winter and to Fafleralp in summer.
The lower village of Kippel
- Tschäggättä (Carnival). The Lötschental valley has very unique traditions during the season of Carnival (Usually February). Men dressed in furs and wearing wooden carved masks adorned with cow teeth and carrying cow bells roam through the villages. There is usually one big procession a year, so make sure to check the date first.
Hiking is the biggest appeal of this region. However, there is a ski resort at Lauchneralp, which is accessible by cable car from Wiler.
- 1 [dead link] Höhenweg (16.8 km, 4h 50min, medium difficulty) (Take the bus to Fafleralp.). This trail leads from Fafleralp along the whole valley to Faldumalp. From there the descent goes to either Ferden or Goppenstein (not included in the trail). A highlight of the trail is the scenic Schwarzsee lake.
- 1 Restaurant Nest- und Bietschhorn, Ried 24, Blatten, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Seasonal. Around Fr. 40 for mains.
- 1 Alpenhotel zur Wildi, Lauchneralp (Take the cable car from Wiler), ☏ , email@example.com. From Fr. 96 single.
- This is the perfect starting point for an excursion into the Jungfrau-Aletsch UNESCO heritage site. If you take the bus/drive up to Fafleralp and get out at the car park at the end of the road, you are already standing on the edge of the site.
- From Goppenstein, take a train through the old Lötschberg tunnel to the Bernese Highlands and get out at Kandersteg just north or the tunnel.
- Or take the same train in the other direction to Brig, the biggest city of the German speaking part of Valais. On the way there, savour the spectacular views as the train descends on the side of the Rhone valley.