Lagos de Moreno is a city in Jalisco. It draws tourists on account of its history and old architecture.
Lagos de Moreno (population estimate 165,000 in 2015) is the 6th largest municipality in the state of Jalisco. It was named Villa Santa Maria de los Lagos by its founder Don Hernando Martel in 1563, and became known as the "Athens of Jalisco" due to the abundance of writers and poets from here. It was renamed after a Mexican War of Independence hero and later featured in the Cristero War, which was a battle over religious power in Mexico.
Despite being in Jalisco, it's only about an hour from Guanajuato's largest city, Leon, but 2½ hours from Guadalajara, using the toll system. Bus service by Primera Plus and others happens at this station:
- 1 Primera Plus Lagos de Moreno (Central Camionera de Lagos), Padre Torres 380, ☏ . Small and rustic bathrooms.
- 1 Jardín de Los Constituyentes (Lagos de Moreno Main Square), C. Miguel Leandro Guerra 439.
- 2 Parroquia de Nuestra Señora de la Asunción (Parish of Our Lady of the Assumption), Calle Miguel Hidalgo. Twin-towered cathedral dating back to 1741 with Baroque and Churrigueresque elements that houses the relics of Saint Hermion, a saint from ancient Rome who died during the persecutions of Emperor Diocletian. Also on site is the Museo de Arto Sacro.
- 3 Templo el Calvario, Cometa Poniente, ☏ . Unique architecture and city views. See the Order of the Capuchinas. Rompope drink available for purchase.
- 4 Teatro Jose Rosas Moreno, Calle Jose Rosas Moreno 320, ☏ . 19th-century theater with mural on ceiling.
- 1 La Rinconada, Calle Constituyentes 425, ☏ . Daily 08ː00-22ː00. Some good authentic cutlet and other local food here.
- 1 Casa Marfil: Hostal Boutique, Calle Francisco I. Madero 477, ☏ . Very proper. Breakfast included. M$257.
- 2 La Casona de Teté, Lic. Primo de Verdad y Ramos, 284, ☏ . Very done up boutique hotel in historic center. M$1780.