- 1 Fairport Harbor is a small town on Lake Erie at the mouth of the Grand River and has a beautiful kid-friendly beach just below its Lighthouse.
- 2 Mentor , in Lake County, is home to Mentor Headlands Beach State Park and the home (and now museum) of President James A. Garfield.
- 3 Painesville , the County Seat of Lake County, is home to Lake Erie College and also has a historical Public Square as its town center.
- 4 Concord - http://www.concordtwp.com/
- 5 LeRoy - http://leroyohio.com/
- 6 Madison - http://www.madisontownship.net/
- 7 Painesville - http://www.painesvilletwp.com/
- 8 Perry - http://www.perrytownship-lake.com/
Most likely you will want to rent a vehicle to get around Lake County, but there is a bus service, Laketran, that runs throughout the county. Walking is probably out of the question if you really want to see a number of sights. Laketran's time schedules and maps, as well as current fare prices can be found on their website.
Mentor exhibits the home of the 20th president of the United States, James A. Garfield. Guided and self-guided tours are available.
Headlands Beach in Mentor, Ohio is the largest natural sand public beach in the state, spanning one mile. The beach is a great summer destination for those who enjoy sunbathing, windsurfing, hiking, and swimming. The park includes a playground, park concession stand, picnic areas, and public restrooms. Picnic shelters may be reserved for special events by calling the main office at Cleveland Lakefront State Park at (216)881-8141.
Visitors may hike or bike on one of two trails within the park: 1.5 mile Buckeye Trail or 0.4 mile Fishing Trail. More hiking paths run through adjacent Headlands Dunes State Nature Preserve. Plants found on the dunes include sea rocket, beach pea, seaside spurge, beach grass and purple sand grass.
A breakwall located at the east end of the park serves as an excellent place for freshwater fishing. Valid Ohio state fishing license is required.
Views from the park include the Fairport Harbor Lighthouse and the grassy dunes of Headlands Dunes State Nature Preserve.