By motor vehicle
Lakehead is located at the northernmost part of Shasta Lake and is the only town that is actually on Shasta Lake. If you are coming up from the south you will enjoy the drive through Shasta Trinity National Forest which starts at the southern end of Shasta Lake, if you are coming from the north you will pass by Mt. Shasta and Castle Crags, both of which are spectacular sights.
If you're going to Lakehead by houseboat you will be traveling up the Sacramento river arm of the lake. The Sacramento river arm of the lake is a meca for water sports. There are two marinas in Lakehead proper, Antlers and Sugarloaf.
If you go here, go by car or RV. Much of Lakehead is on the mainland (not on the shore).
There are really three parts to touring Shasta Caverns: the trip by boat, by bus, and by foot (the latter being in the Caverns themselves).
You start out in a 65-ft. catamaran across Shasta Lake. This is your time to ignore the annoying tour guide and take in the scenery outdoors when you can. If you're interested in geography, then you probably actually should pay a little attention to the guide.
If you're an animal lover, you'll enjoy this. There are bald eagles, ospreys, falcons, mountain lions, bobcats, black bears, and black-tailed deer here.
In the Caverns
Inside, there are some nice formations. The path winds along a normally dark path, but it is lighted.
No matter what your preference of type of water sport, you will find it at Shasta Lake.These include, but are not limited to: swimming, boating, fishing, rafting, and water skiing.
The fudge at the gift shop of Shasta Caverns is excellent. However, there are no major shopping malls, Wal-Marts, or anything in Lakehead.
- Klub Klondike, 21375 Main, ☏ . Great food and has a awesome Tri-Tip salad, also has a great local nightlife and they make you feel welcome there, has events every night
- Pollard Flat USA, 24235 Eagles Roost Rd, ☏ .
- Basshole, 20725 Lakeshore Dr, ☏ .
- Camp Shasta Coffee, 20766 Lakeshore Dr, ☏ .
- Allyson's Restaurant, 20750 Lakeshore Dr, ☏ .
- O'Brien Mountain Inn, 18026 O'Brien Inlet Rd, ☏ . Note: Also a bed & breakfast.
- Shasta Lake Motel, 20714 Lakeshore Dr, ☏ .
- Lakehead Lodge, 21417 Main St, ☏ .
- Doney Creek Lakeshore Villa RV Park, 20672 Lakeshore Dr, ☏ .
- Antlers RV Park & Campground, 20682 Antlers Rd, ☏ .
- Shasta Lake RV Resort & Campground, 20433 Lakeshore Dr, ☏ .