Lamego is a city the Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro region in Northern Portugal.
Lamego (luh-MIH-goo, /ɫɐ.ˈme.gu/) is an ancient city (the oldest in the kingdom of Portugal), dating back to Roman times. It was definitively regained in 1057 by Fernando Magno de Leão from the Moors. It was in Lamego that the legendary Cortes de Lamego took place, where D. Afonso Henriques was acclaimed the first King of Portugal in 1140.
- 1 Loja Interativa de Turismo, Rua Regimento de Infantaria 9, ☏ +351 254 099 000, email@example.com. Summer 10:00–19:00, winter 10:00–13:00 & 14:00–18:00.
Lamego can be accessed via the A24, which connects the city to both Viseu and Vila Real (and from there to Porto ).
- 1 Castle of Lamego (Castelo de Lamego). The walls surrounding the square keep make up the castle, a national monument. From the top of the castle are the main monuments of the city: the Church of Almacave, the museum, the cathedral, the Sanctuary of Nossa Senhora dos Remédios, among others.
- 2 Our Lady of the Assumption Cathedral (Sé Catedral de Nossa Senhora da Assunção). The beautiful chancel has a neoclassical altarpiece in gilded and marble. The cathedral has a 16th century cloister, which illustrates the transition from Gothic to Renaissance.
- 3 Museu de Lamego (Lamego Museum), Largo de Camões, ☏ +351 254 600 230, firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 10:00–12:30 & 14:00–18:00. Located in the old Episcopal Palace, it has pieces from the old Episcopal Palace and the Chagas Convent, in addition to the archaeological remains provided by the City Council and by private individuals. The polyptych of the Lamego cathedral and the collection of Flemish tapestries deserve mention. €3.
- 4 Church of Santa Maria de Almacave. It is located near the castle. Here the first courts of the kingdom of Portugal took place. It is of Romanesque style, and shows an arch portal. Adjoining the main body is the bell tower, with two floors and on the east-facing façade, there is another portal. The church has only one nave.
- 5 Sanctuary of Nossa Senhora dos Remédios. Can be accessed by car or climbing the staircase, with 686 steps, with several levels, each with a specific decoration. From the top there are beautiful views of the city and surroundings.
- 6 Casa das Brolhas. Manor house built in 1777 with the profits of Port wine.
- Desterro Church — The paintings, painted boxes that cover the ceilings, carving and tiles stand out from this church. The façade is distinguished by the full arch portal with Corinthian columns and the interrupted pediment to frame the coat of arms.
- 7 Varosa Dam. A dam remarkable for it's unusual stairs and terraces that connect the dam body to the surrounding rock surface.
- Pilgrimage of Nossa Senhora dos Remédios — Occurs from the 6th to the 8th of September. It is one of the largest Portuguese pilgrimages, taking place in the sanctuary and in the city, with processions and floats.
Bola de Lamego is a specialty of the region. It is easy to find in the city of Lamego, mainly in the area of the cathedral. You can have several fillings, including cod, fried meat or ham, all wrapped in a kind of bread dough, the secret of which is very well kept by the manufacturers.
Also known for its gastronomy, in which its hams and "roasted lamb with oven rice" stand out. There are many specialties in the Lamego region, such as bean soups, corn with spare ribs, kid or rabbit in the oven, Teixeira's biscuit and the famous Lamego balls.
- 1 Casa Filipe, Rua Virgílio Correia 58, ☏ +351 254 612 428, email@example.com. Daily 08:00–23:00. Tasca in the city centre. It serves marinated eels, salpicão rice and Lamego balls. Budget.
- Turiserra, Estrada Floral da Serra das Meadas, km 7, ☏ +351 254 609 100. Overlooking the river and the mountains, he works mainly with typical food.
it is also a land of good wines, like Raposeira, Port wine, of which it is a part of the Demarcated Region, and sparkling wines.
- 1 Casa dos Viscondes da Várzea, Várzea de Abrunhais, ☏ +351 254 690 020, firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00–22:00, check-out: 08:30–12:00. Four-star, 37-room rural hotel in a 17th-century country manor among vineyards, fruit orchards and olive groves. Swimming pool, tennis court, restaurant, bar, free Wi-Fi, free parking, free breakfast. €87-155.
- 2 Douro Castelo Signature Hotel, Rua do Castelo 17, ☏ +351 967 899 933, email@example.com. Check-in: 15:00–24:00, check-out: 07:00–12:00. Hotel.
- 3 Lamego Hotel & Life, R. de São João, Urbanização da Ortigosa, Quinta da Vista Alegre, ☏ +351 254 656 171, firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: From 15:00, check-out: 09:00–12:00. Four-star hotel. Double from €100.
- 4 Six Senses Douro Valley, Quinta de Vale Abraão, Samodães, ☏ +351 254 660 600, email@example.com. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. Five-star-60-room hotel in a 19th-century building on a hillside with vineyard views. Two swimming pools, spa, gym, bar, free breakfast, free parking, free Wi-Fi. €302-806.