Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Redirected from Lempira)
Honduran Highlands is the central upland region of Honduras.
- 1 Tegucigalpa — the capital, centre of government and largest city.
- 2 Comayagua — the former capital of the country is today a quiet colonial town with a beautiful cathedral, notable Spanish architecture and an historic town centre.
- 3 Copán Ruinas
- 4 Corquin
- 5 Danlí
- 6 Gracias — a pleasant colonial mountain town; nearby Parque Celaque is home to the highest mountain in Honduras set among wonderful cloud forests.
- 7 Juticalpa
- 8 La Entrada
- La Paz
- Opatoro - opal mining town
- 9 Santa Rosa de Copán — temperate mountain city in the western part of the region, and the nearest place of any size to Copán Ruinas.
- 1 Copán — one of the most impressive ruins of the Maya civilization, known for the quality of its sculpture.
- 2 Lake Yojoa — the largest natural lake in Honduras.
- 3 Ocotepeque
This region spans the central spine of Honduras from the border with Guatemala in the west to Nicaragua in the east. It consists mostly of mountain ranges and aside from the area in and around the capital, Tegucigalpa, is sparsely populated. This is especially so in the east of the region which is very remote indeed.
The key attractions for travellers are notable Mayan ruins and some charming old colonial hill towns.
Toncontín International Airport (TGU IATA)