Leonora is largest town in the Northern Goldfields. Its long history follows the usual gold-rush boom and bust of many other historical Goldfields mining towns, but it has managed to hang on as service centre. Of most interest is the Gwalia ghost town 3km out of town.
Explorer John Forrest surveyed the area and identified the mining potential 1869. He and his party camped at the foot of Mount Leonora, naming it in honour of his wife. Legend has it that they build a 12 foot high tower of stones on the peak to aid in navigation by subsequent parties, though there is no evidence remaining.
- Leonora Visitor Centre, Cnr Tower & Trump St, ☏ . 9AM-4:30PM. Full of information.
Leonora is 235km north of Kalgoorlie on the Goldfields Hwy.
- Skippers, ☏ 1300 729 924 (local rate), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Direct flights there and back leave M, T, and W. Flights going via Laverton leave on W, T and F. Flying time is about 2 hours direct to Leonora and an hour longer stopping at Laverton. Flights leave from Skippers own Terminal at the general aviation section of Perth Domestic Airport. $395.
- 1 Gwalia Ghost Town, 15 Manning St. 9:30AM-4PM Daily. Uhm, it's literally, a ghost town.
- Gwalia Museum.
- Central Hotel, 10 Tower St. The steak or chicken counter meals are not spectacular taste-wise but the cuts are so large they reach the edge of the plate. $20.
- Leonora Food Van, Tower St (Next to the War memorial). M-F 9-5PM, Sa-Su 10PM-2AM. Better than average takeaway sandwiches, hotdogs and burgers from the tiny window at the back of 1950s style van. $4-10.
- Whitehouse Hotel Restaurant, Tower St. M-Sa Lunch 12-2PM, Dinner 6PM-8AM. Some say this place is trying too hard. Maybe it is, but it does have the longest and most diverse menu in town. Mains $22-27.
- Coles Express, Cnr Rochester and Tower St, ☏ . 5AM-8PM daily. The range isn't much wider than milk, canned goods, snacks and toiletries but it might suffice if you really need something.
- Leonora Supermarket, Tower St, ☏ . M-F 8:30AM-5:30PM, Sa 8:30AM-1PM. A decent selection of the usual supermarket items, but gourmet foods are scant.
- Leonora Caravan Park, 42 Rochester St, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Nice soft grass for your tent and clean showers.
Mobile phone coverage is limited to the Telstra 3G network, and only within town. The signal becomes variable to non-existent the further away you get. Coverage maps show it's possible to get a signal with an external antenna further out of town, but you should not rely on it. Other networks aren't available.
A satellite phone would be useful to have in an emergency if you intend to spend an extended amount of time off the beaten track.
Mobile internet on the Telstra 3G network has the same coverage as the phones do.
- Menzies - A tiny gold rush town at the turn off to Lake Ballard.