- 1 Daniel Oduber Quirós International Airport (is called Liberia Costa Rica Airport LIR IATA) (13 km west of the city). Daily flights arrive in Liberia on several US airlines. Aerobell Airlines, Skyway Airlines and Sansa Air, the domestic airlines also land here. A bus travels between the airport and city center between 06:00-18:00.
There is an exit tax that must be paid on international departures. You can pay by credit card, but it will be recorded as a cash advance with higher fees.
A large public bus network services Liberia and connects it with San Jose, the beaches and the Nicaraguan border. From the only stop light in town along the Pan American Highway, go 300 meters north and turn right. There is the Pulmitan de Liberia bus stop with buses going to San José (US$5), and the Terminal Municipal 2 blocks away that will take you to Guanacaste beaches and the Nicaragua border.
Liberia is at the cross section of the Interamericana that stretches throughout Central America and the Route 21 that heads to famous beaches such as Tamarindo.
Public bus or on foot. Liberia is a small city where everything you are likely to wish to see is within walking distance.
- Rincon de la Vieja National Park, Curubande, Liberia, Guanacaste (Liberia, head 5 km north (La Cruz) and turn right for 17 km). 07:00-15:00 (Sector Las Pailas); 07:00-16:00 (Sector Santa Maria). Lots of volcanic activity, trails, waterfalls, plenty of wildlife to see. Entrance at Sector Las Pailas is closed on Mondays; the one at Sector Santa Maria is opened every day (including Christmas Day). US$15.
- Volcanic Mud Springs with Spa, Rincon de la Vieja. Pools with volcanic mud water for bathing, mud springs for mud treatment. At Rio Negro Hot Springs pools with spring water beside Rio Negro are used for bathing. The temperature of the water ranges from 36ºC to 40ºC. Massage service is offered. Admission to the Hot Springs and Mud Springs is US$25.
- Water Slide at Buena Vista Del Rincon (Rincon de La vieja), Rincon de la Vieja National Park (In Liberia, from Burger King 13 km on the Interamericana road, towards Peñas Blancas, until you get to the entrance of Cañas Dulces), ☏ . 08:00-17:00. Longest mountain water slide -- 400 m -- in the middle of the tropical forest. This is done with all the necessary security equipment. US$15.
There are several different options of restaurants in the area. From American food such as Burger King, McDonald's, Papa John's, Subway, Pizza Hut, KFC and Taco Bell and to local food restaurants like Guanaburger. There are lots of "sodas" (small local restaurants) around Liberia Downtown that serve Costa Rican food. Also, several bakeries like Musmanni, Panaderia Alemana (German Barkery) among others.
- Kuru is the only nightclub. A little bit dingy but very popular with the local Ticos. Goes on until everyone leaves at the weekend.
- LIB is a second story bar in the Plaza Santa Rosa. Modern design and sometimes modern music.
- Casa Pueblo on the Calle Real is popular with students. Relaxed atmosphere, funky decor and western indie and rock music.
- Elements, Calle 3 between Avenidas 3 and 5. The trendiest bar in town. Theme based in the four elements. 2 Bars, restaurant area, 1 lounge and 1 VIP area. Very popular among the staff of the Four Seasons resort, tourists and local crowd. Excellent service. Happy tunes.
- Bar de Luna is popularly known as a gay bar, next to the Best Western and across the street from Kuru. It is popular with locals and visitors because it is open until sunrise and plays great dance music. Also has a reputation with drug users, so be careful.
- Hilton Garden Inn Liberia Airport, Ruta # 21 across from the airport, ☏ . Built in 2008, the property is in front of Daniel Oduber International Airport (LIR), it has 169 rooms & suites, signature bedding, LCD TVs, swimingpool, modern fitness room, car rental desk, a restaurant and bar. US$60-129.
- Hilton Papagayo Costa Rica Resort & Spa, Gulf of Papagayo 20 minutes from Liberia Airport, ☏ . Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. Junior suites with private plunge pool. Amazing views US$99-459.
- Four Seasons Costa Rica, Pagapayo Peninsula, Guanacaste (40 minutes from Liberia Airport). Golf course that was named in the top 50 in the world. Check out the impressive ocean views from the back nine.
- [dead link] Sol Resort Papagayo (Nakuti Resort), toll-free: . This resort is situated on the shores of the Gulf of Papagayo, with direct frontage and access to Panama Beach. The rooms and villas are surrounded by exquisitely maintained gardens that use local flora and fauna, with a small central pond as a centerpiece. The common area walkways are nicely enhanced with artistic tile work. Locally-made statues are interspersed along the walkways, as are additional gardens. Everything is nicely lit at night.
- Hotel Liberia. About 100 m south from the Plaza. Very simple rooms with fan. Nice staff. Good budget option. The cheapest double cost US$12 or ₡6000 (colones) in April 2008.
- Best Western El Sitio. Right on the intersection and in walking distance of the town and 10 minutes drive from the airport. Simple rooms with air conditioning. Gym, casino and pool on site with large area for sun lounging. Double costs US$76 and includes breakfast. Best Western El Sitio's phone number +506 2666-1211
- Allegro Papagayo, Manzanillo beach. With 300 standard rooms and 8 suites, this hotel gives you all the luxury and accommodations of a four star hotel. The rooms are provided with private baths, hair dryers, direct dial telephones, satellite TV, and electronic safety boxes. Three restaurants and three bars. The pool had a swim up bar with a wheel to spin to help select your drink. They also had access to a small private beach accessible by small boat.
- Best Western Las Espuelas, 2 km from the city, heading south on the Interamericana. A spacious, tranquil hotel. Pool and all the usual amenities. US$76 a double.
- Hotel Hacienda Guachipelin, Rincon de la Vieja National Park (Curubande, Liberia, Guanacaste, at the entrance of Rincon de la Vieja National Park), ☏ . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. The hotel is in a traditional Guanacaste cattle hacienda that dates back to 1800. The national park, with all its beauty and activities, is in its back yard. US$50 per person.
- La Posada Del Tope (2 blocks south of the parque central). This budget option near Parque Central has gotten mixed reviews. Shared bathrooms. Around US$8.
- Hotel Guanacaste, Calle 12, between 1st and 3rd avenues. (25 m west of the Pulmitan Bus terminal), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Member of Hostelling International. Close to all bus terminals, clean, nice patio, Internet and Wifi, restaurant, tourism information available. Shared simple from US$8, private small simple from $11.
- Buena Vista Del Rincon Eco Adventure Park, Hotel & Spa (formerly Buena Vista Lodge), Rincon de La Vieja (Guanacaste), ☏ . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. This eco-lodge in a hacienda offers spectacular sunsets and a magnificent view of the Pacific Ocean, volcanoes, plains and forests. US$78 double incl. breakfast/taxes.