Likhauri is a village in Guria.
Likhauri is just a sweet, picturesque village in the Guria region of Georgia. It is known for its medieval churches in Likhauri and Achi.
Nearest train Station is in Ozurgeti
You can catch a mashrutka from Ozurgeti.
Likhauri is connected to Ozurgeti with well-developed local road. route from Ozurgeti to Likhauri
It's a small village, so your feet will serve you just fine.
- 1 Likhauri church (ლიხაურის ეკლესია). Likhauri has a church built in the 15th century. Church is located in the center of the village. St. Mary's Church of Lichauri was built in the 12th century of carved stone. It has a free-standing bell tower.
- 2 Likhauri fortress (ლიხაურის ციხე). The fortress is situated west from the church, on the Hill. The fortress was built in the 12th century, allegedly by Queen Tamar, therefore it is also called Fortress of Tamar.
- 3 Achi Church (აჭის ეკლესია). Achi Church is a medieval Georgian Orthodox Church. It was built in the 13th or 14th century. The church is a single-nave hall church and is built of hewn stone. To them running around a high wall. The church and the walls have been renovated several times. The church has two entrance doors on the southern and western wall. Above the doors there are the traditional Georgian ornaments. On the southern wall a Georgian inscription is mounted in the interior the walls are decorated with frescoes from the 13th century.
- 4 [dead link] Ekvtime Takaishvili Museum (ექვთიმე თაყაიშვილის მუზეუმი). Museum represents stylized wooden Gurian type house, which is surrounded by a stone fence. The museum has four exhibition halls. The museum houses Ekvtime Takaishvili (Georgian archaeologist and politician) photographs, books, personal items.
- If you follow the main road, along the river, you will soon find quite a picturesque scene of giant boulders, a small waterfall, and more. Local children and others go up there to swim in the summertime, and it's quite shaded and cool.
There are two places good to swim: Gogorikidze in Likhauri and Devis Kva in Achi
There is one small shop, which strangely enough has a fair amount of chocolate, and a pharmacy if you happen to need headache tablets after too many ringtones blasted in your ear. Visit Janverdi Tsetskhladze Farm in village 1 Gogieti where you can buy homemade honey and enjoy remote village life.
Both restaurants in Likhauri area are known for trouts from local mountain rivers
- 1 Niabauri (ნიაბაური). If you follow the main road for a while, you will soon see a yellow sign with Georgian letters and a beer advertisement. Follow this road to a nice restaurant, where at least one of the people speaks decent English, and enjoy some meat skewers, or salads if you're a vegetarian.
- 2 Chkimarte (ჭყიმარტე).
The restaurant serves beer, or if you're lucky, the villagers will treat you to some homebrew.
Keep walking to the next few villages, or head back to Ozurgeti.