Lipno is an artificial dam in South Bohemia.
The dam was built due to frequent flooding and subsequent damage to the settlements (including Český Krumlov). Completed in 1960, it also features a hydroelectric plant. Nowadays, the artifial lake area and its surroundings are a popular spot for camping, tourism and summer sports.
Most of the activities are grouped nearby the Lipno nad Vltavou town (east coast of the lake), which also is home to many luxurious(-ish) recreational houses, marina, beach, big camp and others.
From Central Bohemia
The road 39 from Ceske Budejovice/Cesky Krumlov is the most frequented. Especially before the summer weekends the road is very congested.
Most people come here for walking in nature and biking/inline-skating.
To shorten the path, ferry is available between various towns (Bližší Lhota, Černá v Pošumaví, Frumburk, Lipno nad Vltavou) and few shores. Especially the one between Frýdava and Frymburk is convenient - it connects both ends of the inline track.
Boat rentals are also available.
- 1 Inline/bike track (At the east shore of the dam). The 20km track starts at Frymburk and goes all the way around the dam until Frydlava, where you can take a ferry back. It's very easy to take the road by bike - a bit harder by inline skates, as the surface is a bit rough in few small spots (getting better each year). There are also few smaller slopes, so be prepared. Refreshments and restaurants are available nearby.
- 2 Lipno Treetop Walkway, Lipno nad Vltavou 307 (From central parking in Lipno nad Vltavou, take free "Stezkabus" bus or cable car (not available in winter). Also approx. 1km signed path is available (by feet or bike).). In summer 9:30-19:00, in winter 10:00-16:00, otherwise 10:00-18:00. 160Kc-200Kc, plus group/family discounts.
- 3 Lipno slide. An all-year round bobsleigh track.
- 4 Relax at beaches.
- Swimming near the camps - both big camps have water access. While the water isn't usually blue nor transparent, it's usually clean enough for a short swim.
- Multiple restaurants are available 1 nearby the main walkway at the lake in Lipno nad Vltavou.
- Fast-food and pizzeria available 2 at Frymburk ferry station
- Nearby 3 Zadní Výtoň, conveniently placed near the inline track.
- 1 Penzion Mauritz, Nová Pec 7, ☏ . A familiar hostel in a rustical building, some 20 minutes from Hochficht by car - also possible to get ski passes here.
- 2 Wellness Hotel Frymburk. A hotel with wellness, bike rental (Lipno Centrum) nearby.
- 3 Camp Frymburk (Across a bridge nearby the ferry station in Frymburk). A camp with all the standard equipment, good prices. Chalets available.
- 4 Modřín (Nearby Lipno nad Vltavou). A quite popular camp.
The surrounding Sumava national park (esp. if you are staying at the west of the lake) provides many nice hikes both in summer and winter.
Cesky Krumlov is a historic town on the road to/from Central Bohemia and well worth the visit.