North is a district in Lisbon, Portugal. This district covers a large portion of the city. Most of the sights, restaurants, and hotels are in and around the areas known as Avenidas Novas, Sete Rios, and Campolide.
All four lines of the Lisbon Metro serve the northern district. Several rail stations and local bus routes are also available.
- 1 Estação Ferroviária de Sete Rios (Sete Rios Rail Station), Avenida Columbano Bordalo Pinheiro. Sete Rios serves several Comboios de Portugal (CP) lines—intercity, regional, and suburban (Sintra and Azambuja lines)—as well as Fertagus.
- 2 Terminal Rodoviário de Sete Rios (Sete Rios Bus Station), Praça General Humberto Delgado, Rua das Laranjeiras. Lisbon's main bus terminal, serving Rede Expressos and several other operators, with service from throughout the country and beyond.
- 1 Calouste Gulbenkian Museum, Avenida de Berna 45A (take the metro to São Sebastião or Praça de Espanha Stations), ☏ . W–M 10:00–18:00, closed Tu. One of the best museums in Lisbon. Created from the personal collection of the art and artifact collector Calouste Gulbenkian. The collection include Egyptian artefacts; Islamic and oriental art; paintings by masters such as Rembrandt, Manet, Monet, Renoir, and Cassat; and a large collection of objects made by the Art Nouveau jeweler René Lalique. Gulbenkian was an Armenian born in the Ottoman Empire who, through his investments in Iraqi oil, became one of the wealthiest men of his time. During a journey he fell ill and had to seek medical attention in Lisbon. He fell in love with the city and decided live out his final days there. After his death his immense collections where organized into this museum. The Gulbenkian Gardens which surround the museums and foundation building are worth a visit in and of themselves, as a little oasis in the middle of downtown Lisbon. They're free and open sunrise to sunset. €10, ages 13–30 & 65+ €5, ages 0–12 free.
- 2 Centro de Arte Moderna (Modern Art Centre), Rua Dr. Nicolau de Bettencourt, ☏ . Temporarily closed for renovations. A museum dedicated to art since the 1950s, focusing on Portuguese artists and including other nationalities, notably British and Armenian. Part of the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation.
- 3 Jardim Zoológico, Estrada de Benfica 158-160 (Metro:Take the Blue Line to the Jardim Zoológico. Buses: A variety of buses stop here including 16, 31, 54, 58, 701 and 755), ☏ . 21 Mar-30 Sep: 10:00-20:00; 1 Oct-20 Mar: 10:00-18:00. A zoo that is fairly pricey, but has a variety of exotic animals featuring sea-lions and dolphins. €15.
- 4 Parque Eduardo VII (Metro station ). Formal park with expansive views down toward the city and water from Miradouro Parque Eduardo VII. Home to the wonderful Estufa Fira greenhouse gardens.
- 5 Praça Marquês de Pombal (Metro station ). Essentially a large roundabout with a sizeable statue of a former Portuguese prime-minister in the middle.
- 1 Gulbenkian Music, Avenida de Berna, 45A, ☏ . The Gulbenkian Foundation has its own symphony orchestra and ballet group. There are also two stages operated by the foundation. One major auditorium inside the main building, and an outdoors stage in the nearby Gulbenkian Gardens.
- 1 Centro Colombo, Avenida Lusíada & Avenida Colégio Militar ( , 750, 799, 767, 55B, 70B), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 08:00–22:30 daily. One of the largest malls in Europe, this shopping and leisure complex also houses dozens of restaurants, a bowling alley, health club and a multiplex cinema.
- 2 El Corte Inglés, Avenida António Augusto Aguiar 31 ( ). M–F 10:00–21:00, Sa Su & holidays 10:00–15:30. The Spanish department store chain invaded Lisbon, armed with cinema and supermarket. It can be a bit pricey but with good quality items.
- 1 O Cubo, Rua Dom Francisco Manuel de Melo 16B, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M–Sa 07:15–22:00, closed Su. A place for a family meal or a business lunch. €5-20.
- 2 Eleven, Rua Marquês de Fronteira, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 12:30–14:30 & 19:30–22:30. Michelin-starred restaurant in Jardim Amália Rodrigues with views of Parque Eduardo VII. €35-185.
- 3 Fábrica Imperial, Rua Marquês da Fronteira 113A, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M–Th 11:00–16:00, F 11:00–16:00 & 20:00–00:00, Sa 20:00–00:00, closed Su. They say they serve grandma's cooking with the love of a grandchild. €7-20.
- 4 Il Gattopardo, Avenida Eng. Duarte Pacheco 24, 3F (Dom Pedro Lisboa Hotel), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 07:30–10:00 (Sa Su until 10:30), 12:30–15:00, 19:30–22:00. An elegant restaurant serving fashionable gourmet Italian. €52-78.
- 5 Panorama Restaurante & Bar, Rua Latino Coelho 1 (Sheraton Lisboa Hotel), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Restaurant: daily 19:30–23:30; bar: daily 15:00–02:00. Superb views over Lisbon and food with a good quality/price ratio. €40-120.
- 1 Ritz Bar, Rua Rodrigo da Fonseca, 88 (Four Seasons Hotel), ☏ . Designed by Pierre Yves-Rochon, you'll enjoy deep, sumptuous sofas and an impressive collection of contemporary art displayed on the walls. And with decorated bartender Paulo Costa serving you drinks, its a great place to peruse a crowd of sophisticated clientele.
- 1 America Diamonds Hotel, Rua Tomás Ribeiro 47, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. Three-star, 66-room hotel, totally reconstructed in 2006 in a historical building, keeping only its original façade, contrasting with its modern interior. Amenities include bar, restaurant, room service, free breakfast, and free Wi-Fi. From €62.
- 2 Intercontinental Lisbon Hotel, Rua Castilho 149, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. Five-star, 331-room hotel overlooking Parque Eduardo VII. Amenities include fitness centre, bar, business centre, conference facilities, and free Wi-Fi. €133-257.
- 3 Lisbon Marriott Hotel, Avenida dos Combatentes 45, ☏ . Check-in: 16:00, check-out: 12:00. Four-star, 577-room hotel with swimming pool, gym, bar, conference facilities, and free Wi-Fi. €110-169.
- 4 Novotel Lisboa, Avenida José Malhoa 1A, ☏ , ✉ H0784@accor.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Four-star, 249-room hotel with swimming pool, gym, bar, and free Wi-Fi. €71-122.
- 5 Sheraton Lisboa, Rua Latino Coelho 1, ☏ . Check-in: 15:00. Panoramic bar on 26th floor. Spa available. Near Picoas metro station. €100-500.