Ljusdal is a town with about 7,000 inhabitants in western Hälsingland. It is the seat of Ljusdal municipality with a population of about 19,000 inhabitants. It is famous as the home of three of the "Decorated Farmhouses of Hälsingland", a UNESCO World Heritage site .
1 Ljusdal station, Norra Järnvägsgatan 42. Everyday 06:00–23:00. Train services are plentiful SJ operates InterCity and X2000 trains from Stockholm via Uppsala and Gävle (continuing to Östersund) depart every two hours. Local trains between Ljusdal and Gävle via Bollnäs are also available.
From Ljusdal station the following companies have a bus services:
- X-trafik operates bus service from Gävle via Bollnäs and from Hudiksvall via Delsbo. And also bus service to and from Järvsö.
- Härjedalingen operates a long distance bus service from Stockholm to Ljusdal, the route goes via Uppsala, Gävle, Söderhamn, Bollnäs and Järvsö.
Most of the destinations in the city center can be reached on foot or bicycle. Some will require car or taxi to access, since public transit is limited.
- Hälsingegårdarna (Hälsingland farms). Three of the seven farms that make up the UNESCO World Heritage site Decorated Farmhouses of Hälsingland are located in the municipality of Ljusdal. In addition to these three several other beautiful farmhouses can be found in the area.
- 1 Bommars, Brovägen 8 (Letsbo), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Guided tours at 15:00, Jun 25-Aug 6, daily. The tour takes 1½ hours. 200 kr.
- 2 Bortom åa, Gryssjövägen 1 (Fågelsjö), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Jun 6-Aug 31, 10:00-17:00 daily. Guided tours at every full hour 11:00-16:00. Only open to booked tours during the rest of the year. 100 kr.
- 3 Kristofers, Kalvstigen 6 (In Järvsö), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Accessible during guided tours held at 15:00 Tuesdays and Thursdays in July. Tours can be booked via the Stenegård world heritage centre. 220 kr.
- 4 Färila kyrka.
- 5 Järvzoo, Vallmovägen 49, 820 40 Järvsö (From Ljusdal travel towards Järvsö), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 10:00-15:00. Zoo which has a large collection of Nordic animals like wolf, arctic fox, bear, lynx, and wolverine and many more. Well worth a visit. Adults €18, children €9.
- 1 Hamra nationalpark (Hamra National Park) (from E45 between Sveg and Orsa on a side road going eastward from Fågelsjö: follow the signs for about 5 km), ☏ .
- 1 [formerly dead link] Gallerian - Centrumhuset Ljusdal, Norra Järnvägsgatan 39. M-F 10:00-18:00, Sa 10:00-15:00. Shopping mall in city center. Walking distance from train station. Several different stores can be found here.
- 1 Restaurang Hembygdsgården, Kyrksjönäsvägen 16, ☏ . M-F 11:00-15:00.
- 2 Janus Bistro, Norra Järnvägsgatan 41, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Th 17:00-22:00, F 17:00-01:00 and Sa 17:00-02:00. Bistro & lounge.
- 3 Konditori Finess, Norra Järnvägsgatan 39, ☏ . M-F 08:00-18:00, Sa 09:00-16:00. Bakery.
- 4 Järnvägspizzerian, Norra Järnvägsgatan 39, ☏ . Su-Th 11:00-21:00, F-Sa 11:00-22:00. Pizzeria
- 5 Gui Lin Kina Restaurang, Södra Järnvägsgatan 44,, ☏ . Chinese restaurant.
- 1 Järnvägs, Norra Järnvägsgatan 40, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Opens M-F 11:00, Sa 13:00, Su 17:00, closing times are flexible. A somewhat legendary place that's been around in on form or another since 1880. Attracts people from all over Hälsingland (and further away too). Usually has live bands of weekends.
- Engbergs i Stavsäter, Borrvägen 1 (1.5 km (0.93 mi) west of central Ljusdal), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. A rentable Hälsinga Farmhouse
- Hälsingegård Lundbergs, Los Kyrkbyväg 22-24 (Los, 60 km (37 mi) west of central Ljusdal), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A beautiful Hälsingegård turned into a B&B.
- 1 Stadshotellet i Ljusdal, Norra Järnvägsgatan 41, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. In central Ljusdal, Stadt is the largest hotel in town. The nightclub and bar is open during weekends. From 1150 kr per night, 750 kr during summer..