- Interstate 95 (I-95) Lorton is accessed from exits #161 ("US 1 Mt Vernon Ft Belvoir") through #166A&B ("VA-286 Fairfax Pkwy") along I-95. There are three exits from I-95 into town with exit 163 ("VA-642 Lorton") as the primary exit to Lorton.
- Richmond Highway goes north towards Mount Vernon and south towards Woodbridge. It intersects and is accessible from I-95 from exit #161, 2 mi (3.2 km) south of town.
- Lorton Road Serves as a primary east-west road across Lorton, connecting US-1 in the east and OX Rd (VA-Hwy 123) in the west. It crosses I-95 at exit 163.
- See also: Rail travel in the United States
Lorton is the northern terminus of the Amtrak Auto Train which carries passengers and automobiles between Sanford, Florida and Lorton, effectively serving as a car-rail link from the Washington, D.C. Metro Area to Orlando. 1 Lorton Station is located on 8006 Lorton Rd. The station, which opened in 2000, features a large waiting area with high glass walls, a small gift shop, snack bar, and a children's playground. There is one long low level platform designed for Auto Train boarding and 6 vehicle ramps for boarding vehicles onto the 20+ autoracks that are on the Auto Train. Lorton is also served by Virginia Railway Express (VRE) which has runs commuter trains from Washington, D.C and Fredericksburg. Confusingly, VRE does not share station with Amtrak but uses the 2 Lorton VRE station, located on 8990 Lorton Station Blvd, about a mile north.
The Lorton (VRE) Station at 8990 Lorton Station Blvd also serves as a park & ride and central bus station for:
- Vamoose, (bus stop) Lorton VRE Station @ 8990 Lorton Station Blvd (Bus picks up at the pedestrian pathway to the train, inside the VRE Station parking lot.). Goes up to NYC Penn Station via Arlington Rosslyn Station and Bethesda, MD. Transfer to other Amtrak trains, Greyhound and/or other bus lines in Arlington or New New York to reach other places.
- Fairfax Connector, (transit center) Lorton VRE Station @ 8990 Lorton Station Blvd, ☏ . Operates local bus routes as public transportation in and around Fairfax County. The following bus routes serve the Lorton Station:
- 171 Richmond Highway (US 1)
- 305 Newington - Silverbrook Rd
- 371 Lorton - Franconia-Springfield Metro
- 372 Lorton - Alban Rd
- 373 Lorton - Fullerton Rd
- 494 Lorton - Springfield - Tysons
Historic landmarks include:
- 1 Gunston Hall. The Colonial estate of George Mason, author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights.
- 2 Elizabeth Hartwell Mason Neck National Wildlife Refuge.
- 3 Mason Neck State Park.
- George Washington Memorial Parkway (part).
- 4 Pohick Church. Historic Episcopal church affiliated with major figures in Virginia history; George Washington and George Mason both had administrative roles there
- 5 Belvoir. Formerly George Fairfax's home, and now Fort Belvoir Army Corps of Engineer base
- Cranford Church.
- 6 Woodlawn Plantation. A former part of Mount Vernon
- 7 Mt. Vernon. George Washington's Home on the Potomac River lie just to the North.
- 8 Pohick Bay Regional Park.
- 9 National Museum of the United States Army, 1775 Liberty Drive Fort Belvoir, VA 22060, toll-free: , firstname.lastname@example.org. 9AM-5PM. Large, modern museum chronicling the Army's history, from its roots as the Continental Army during the American Revolution through every conflict the nation has fought in. Several exhibits focus on the Army's focus today on combatting global terror and cyberwarfare. Cafe and gift shop on-site. Free.
- Lazy Susan Dinner Theatre, 10712 Richmond Highway. Phone: (703) 494-6311.
- 1 Pirate's Cove Waterpark. - located in Lorton
Gunston Plaza Shopping Center is the largest shopping center in the vicinity. The plaza includes a medical clinic, space for several business offices, grocery, restaurants, gymnasium, a senior citizen's center, and a number of shops and the post office.
It's a little known fact that Lorton is the headquarter city for Five Guys, a nationally-recognized hamburger/hotdog chain with locations all over America.
- Gennaro's Restaurant, 8170 Silverbrook Road, Phone: 703-690-7901.
- Hong Kong Cafe, 9441 Lorton Market Street, Phone: (703) 372-1577.
- Polo Grill Restaurant & Tap Room, 7784 Gunston Plaza. Phone (703) 550-0002. CLOSED. Now International House of Pancakes.
- Las Colinas Restaurant, 7718 Gunston Plaza, Lorton, Virginia, ☏ . Outstanding Mexican food.
- Fireside Grill, 9000 Lorton Station Blvd, Lorton, VA 22079, ☏ . Good but pricey food.
- Skinifatz Restaurant & Nightclub, 10712 Richmond Highway. Phone: (703) 550-9252.
- 1 [formerly dead link] Comfort Inn Gunston Corner, 8180 Silverbrook Road, ☏ . Complimentary shuttle service to and from Springfield Metro station, free daily hot breakfast and free internet access.
- Boneyard Inn, 5941 Kentia Trail. Phone: (703) 550-9022.
- Hunter Motel & Restaurant, 8100 Loisdale Road. Phone: (703) 339-5400.
|Routes through Lorton|
|Washington, D.C. via ← Springfield ←||N S||→ Woodbridge → Richmond|
|Washington, D.C. ← Mount Vernon ←||N S||→ Woodbridge → Richmond|
|Fredericksburg ← Woodbridge ←||SW NE||→ Springfield → Washington, D.C.|