Los Teques is in Miranda, and, not only is it the capital of the state, but it is one of the premier bedroom communities of Caracas. It was the birthplace of Guaicaipuro, leader of the indigenous tribe known as the Teques, for which the city is named. The Spanish conquistadors came looking for gold here, and then the area subsequently became a center for sugarcane and coffee cultivation. It is a bit rough, infrastructure-wise and other, and one would be wise to take care of their safety even in daylight.
Los Teques is only 31 km southwest of Caracas via the Carrera Panamericana.
Alternatively, the Caracas Metro also has a few stops in Los Teques if wanting to take the intercity train, though don't hold your breath on this as the mass-transit system seems to go in and out of operation with the political situation of the country. Los Teques has a mass transit system of its own for travel within the municipality.
Metro stations serving Los Teques
- 1 Parque Cultural - Social Villa Teola, Calle Roscio, ☏ +58 426 4203482. 09:00-17:00 daily. A historic house originally named Villa Amelia by Dr. Arnoldo Morales Sumoza who had it built in 1912 with balustrades and all the finery. It then sold and became Villa Teolinda, and, after a period of disrepair and renovation, now serves as a museum and cultural center.
- 2 Casa Museo Arturo Michelena, Calle Sucre and Calle Ayacucho, ☏ +58 212 3216784. 08:00-16:00 M-F, closed Sa-Su. House museum where this author Arturo Michelena grew up.
- 3 La Casa de las Carretas, Calle Sucre, ☏ +58 212 3220610. 11:45-15:00 M-F. Colonial period museum and restaurant combined.
- 4 St. Philip Neri Cathedral, ☏ +58 412 0128235. It is a notable church going back to the late 18th century in the historic part of the city next to Bolivar Square and well maintained.
- Parque Knoop.
- 1 Centro Comercial La Cascada, Carretera Panamericana, Km 21 Sector Corralito, Municipio Carrizal (a little east of Los Teques), ☏ +58 212 3830923. 10:00-20:00 daily. This is really quite a marvel of a shopping mall with an inner atrium marked by rounded vaulted ceilings, elaborate tiles, and a waterfall motif at one end.
- 2 Centro comercial La Casona 1, Carretera Panamericana Km. 16, San Antonio de Los Altos (also east of Los Teques), ☏ +58 426 2219516. 07:00-20:00 daily. Another mall, more old-school, with some curios and food vendors.
- 1 Hotel Gran Casino, Calle Carabobo and Calle Boyaca (just look for the big hotel sign on top of the building), ☏ +58 212 3229116. Sadly it is pretty much the only accommodation in Los Teques, but the upside is you can order a pizza at least in the restaurant down below.