Creole Swahili is the principal language of the Copperbelt mining cities and is somewhat more different from classical East African Swahili than that spoken elsewhere along the eastern edge of Congo. Most people can communicate in French, and many of the elite are more at ease in French than Swahili. English is widely spoken in businesses.
- 1 [formerly dead link] Lubumbashi International Airport (FBM IATA). It is served internationally by Ethiopian Airlines, Kenya Airways, and Mahogany Air. Flights within DR Congo are offered by Compagnie Africaine d'Aviation (CAA) and Congo Airways.
By car or truck
Connections via Zambia to Dar es Salaam and to South Africa.
Passenger trains to Lubumbashi are slow, infrequent and often cancelled. However, it is possible to travel by train from such far away cities as Ilebo, Kalemie and Kindu. Departures are often a few times per month, or even more infrequent. There have been attempts to improve conditions of the railway decade but regular passenger services have yet to materialize. Inquires about departures should be made directly at the station or by contacting SNCC, the national operator.
- 2 Lubumbashi railway station (Gare de Lubumbashi). Colonial-era station, centrally located.
Lubumbashi has several prominent examples of colonial architecture, such as the art-déco style Palace of Justice, the Grand Hotel or the cathedral Cathedral of Saint Pierre and Paul. Some have been restored in the last few years.
- 1 National Museum of Lubumbashi (Musée national de Lubumbashi), 750 Avenue du Musée. Has a collection of archaeological and ethnological artifacts of the regions history.
- 2 Cathedral of Saint Pierre and Paul (Cathédrale Saint-Pierre et Paul). Built in 1910.
- 3 Lubumbashi Zoological Garden, Boulevard Kamanyola. In addition to several predators like lions and tigers, this zoo has a large snake collection and termites museum.
- 1 Cercle Wallon (Belgium club), 2 Avenue de la Révolution. Eat, bar, tennis (incl. lessons), 10 pin bowling.
- 2 Lubumbashi Golf Club, Route du Golf. Designed in 1934, this gold club hosts numerous competitions each year and is open for guests.
- Watch one of football club TP Mazembe's games.
- Plage Tshombe: several restaurants and bars, situated on Route du Golf at Lake Tshombe.
- Le Boucher: A high end restaurant on La Plage Golf.
- Lattelicious: an American style bar/restaurant and cafe in the Quartier du Golf.
- Cercle Grec (Taverna Communaute Hellenique): The Greek Club in town, serves a variety of mezze and other plates. It also has sports grounds and a playground.
On Ave Kilela Balanda:
- Latte Lounge: Same owner as Lattelicious, located in town on Ave Kilela Balanda.
- Planet Hollybum: A hotel on Ave Kilela Balanda, which also has an Italian restaurant, specializing in pizza.
- India Spice: Indian restaurant, which serves buffet or a la carte.
- 1 [dead link] Bougian Villa, Av Lukonzolwa 58/59 (Golf Area), ☏ . Check-in: noon, check-out: 10:30. Bougian Villa is a South African-owned guest house claiming to offer the best accommodation in Lubumbashi. In-house restaurant (which offers good value home-style meals for breakfast, lunch, and supper), also a full bar, wifi internet, dstv, etc. US$145-185.
- AMS Guest House, 7409 Avenue de la Revolution, ☏ . Check-in: noon, check-out: 11:00. 18 rooms with air-con, DSTV, wi-fi and en-suite bathrooms, kitchenettes. Hotel also has a restaurant and bar. US$130 bed and breakfast, US$145 half board, US$165 full board.
- 2 Grand Hotel Karavia, 55 Route du Golf (Next to the golf course), ☏ . The former Sheraton Hotel that was abandoned for 10 years, and fully renovated in 2010
- 3 Park Hotel (Hotel Leopold II), 50 Avenue Munongo (between main post office and train station), ☏ . Built in 1929, this art deco gem is Lubumbashi's classic hotel. The inner courtyard has an excellent restaurant, with delightful live jazz most evenings. US$100.
- 4 Hotel Belle-Vue, Av. Kasai (one block from train station). One of the most beautiful buildings in Lubumbashi. The rooms are simple and inexpensive. The balcony overlooking the busy street is charming. US$50.
- Belgium, Avenue Lufira 990, ✉ Lubumbashi@diplobel.fed.be.
- [formerly dead link] South Africa, 2875 Lumumba Avenue, ☏ .