Lukla is a village in Khumbu and home to the region's main airport. Most travelers visiting the region will enter and exit from here.
Lukla is basically just an airport and a strip of hotels. There are two expensive, up-scale places which offer such luxuries as hot tubs, while the other hotels are largely the same. Lukla is 2,860 m above sea level.
There are numerous flights flying the busy Kathmandu - Lukla route, though with a much reduced service during the off-season months. Sita Air is considered to be one of the more reliable airlines flying this route and operates two flights every morning from Kathmandu Domestic Airport at 07:00 and 08:20, with return flights at 07:40 and 09:00. Flights from Kathmandu take around 25 minutes. Be aware that during the summer rainy season there may be substantial delays, and even a wait of one week is not uncommon.
Tenzing-Hillary Airport is often named one of the most dangerous airports in the world due to its position against the side of the mountain.
The only way you can get around Lukla is by foot. There are neither roads nor any other means of modern transport. There are plenty of impressive mountainous view around Lukla itself.
You can see the hospitals which are highly equipped with modern instruments. it is heavily funded by the tourist from outside and provide free medical services to poor people.
Lukla is the usual starting point for the trek to Everest Base Camp.
- Eco Paradise Lodge - (see sleep section)
- Across from the entrance to the airport there is a German bakery, that serves delicious "apple cheese cake" and good coffee. Inside the village, there are two more bakeries with good cakes and coffee.
Lukla has several accommodation so you can be selective.
- K2 Lodge - located near the "Starbucks" - room with bathroom for Rs. 100 if you eat there. Rooms are clean though uninteresting. Food is quite cheap in comparison to most guesthouses in town and pretty tasty. The owner Dawa is friendly and seemingly always has a smile on his face.
- Eco Paradise Lodge offers spotlessly clean, albeit simple rooms, and a very warm and cosy lounge/dining room with views over the airport and mountains beyond for a very reasonable price (It is a good place to have breakfast on the outward journey). In addition, the owner can help purchase airline tickets and assist with the check in at the airport.
- North Face Resort (2,860 m) (Straight down the main street after exiting the airport about 200m on the left), ☎ . Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 10:00. Good place at the end of trekking to spend a night before leaving Lukla in the morning for Kathmandu. Comfotable rooms, with en-suite bathrooms and restruarent serving wholesome food. Balcony has a good view of the runway.