Flight from Helsinki to Rovaniemi takes little over an hour. The SkiBus is running directly from Rovaniemi Airport to Luosto and it serves certain flights by Finnair and Norwegian. The SkiBus waits delayed flight for one hour. If your flight is delayed more than that contact Kutilan Liikenne Oy and inform about the situation. A SkiBus ticket costs €31/adult, €21/young person, €15/child or student.
There are no regular connections to Luosto from Kittilä Airport.
Alternatively, if travelling from the UK, some direct charters operate to assist in the "Search for Santa" during the peak Christmas season. For more information on these flights you can contact Canterbury Travel
Travelling to Rovaniemi from southern Finland (10–12 hours) is easy, also with a car-carrier train. From the railway station to Luosto here are bus connections (SkiBus) which leave immediately following the arrival of the train. VR does not offer train+bus combo to Luosto to a same ticket.
Luosto has its own SkiBus, which transports holidaymakers to the area from Rovaniemi year round. During high season the bus drives four times a day and during lower season once a day. Pyhä-Luosto SkiBus has connection to certain Finnair and Norwegian flights and the timetable may chance accordingly if the flight is delayed. A SkiBus ticket from Rovaniemi costs €31/adult, €21/young person, €15/child or student. Use "Luosto" as your destination and check Matkahuolto for details.
Regular long-haul coaches between Rovaniemi and Sodankylä do not visit Luosto. The nearest bus stop by the road E75 is 14 kilometers away from resort but this is possible option if you are travelling with a bike. Nearest stop by the road E75 is called "Torvinen (Sodankylä)". Check Matkahuolto for details
Luosto is 14 km away from the road E75. Turn to the road 962 in the village Torvinen. If you are approaching from south the Luosto fell is well visible on the right before you arrive the crossroads. There are good signs by the road.
- 1 Ukko-Luosto fell. Ukko-Luosto is a very prominent peak, and stairs having 670 steps take you to the top of the fell. Views to the surrounding landscape. The forests south-west from the fell have never been subject to forestry and some of the huge pines are over 400 years old. The trail to the south takes you through these forest. Mountain biking is allowed on the trails. Free.
- 2 Rykimäkuru gorge. Unlike the other ravines around the Rykimäkuru gorge has formed by ancient earthquake which splitted the surrounding fell. A nature trail from the road visits the gorge. Lean-to shelter with campfire site. Mountain biking is allowed on the trails. Free.
- 3 Lampivaara Amethyst Mine, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Dec 1st–Apr 17th M–Sa; Jun–Sep daily; Oct Tu–Sa open Mon-Sat. The only operating amethyst mine in Europe, which is also open to tourists. Entrance fee includes a guided tour and an opportunity to dig your own amethyst. Winter (with transport): €27–63/14–28; summer (from Lampivaara café): €18/10.
Luosto offers activities from ice climbing and snow sculpting to reindeer, husky and snowmobile safaris. The main attractions are downhill skiing and reindeer, husky, Santa and snowmobile activities.
The national park is a stone's throw away. It is worth seeing both summer and winter.
- 1 Pyhä-Luosto National Park (by bus, look for stops Pyhätunturi and Luosto; by car drive southwards and turn to road 962 in Torvinen), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. The fifth most visited national park in Finland with some 174,000 visitors in 2018. Rugged hills, gorges, old-growth forests and treeless fell tops. Historic sites of the Forest Sámi. Several day routes and a fairly easy 2–3 days hiking trail between Luosto and Pyhä. MTB routes 18–35 km. Skiing routes in winter. Free.
- Luosto Fell Rhytms (Luoston tunturirytmit) in August/September.
- Luosto Classic unfortunately bankrupted in 2018.
- 1 Luosto Shop (Luoston Kauppa), Hartsutie 1, ☏ . Groceries, clothes and souvenirs. Mail service. Prescription-free drugs.
- 2 Amethyst Shop, Luostontie 4, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu-Sa 10:00-17:00, Su-M closed. Amethyst jewelry. Tickets and transportation to the Lampivaara amethyst mine.
- 3 Ihana Putiikki, Laukotie 1, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 09:00-16:30, Sa-Su closed. Decorative items and jewelry.
Eat and drink
- Gastro Pub LuostonHovi. Log cabin restaurant. Live bands and regular events.
There is a wide choice of cabin accommodation in Luosto.
- 1 Lapland hotel Luostotunturi, Luostontie 1, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Rooms and cabins. Spa and gym. Restaurant. Nightclub.
- 2 Santa's hotel Aurora, Luppokeino 1, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Northern lights themed hotel. Saunas in the rooms. Restaurant. Also cabin village and glass igloos.
- 3 Luosto Caravan Park, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Caravan park is located under the trees, not an open parking lot. Shower and sauna. €35/night (electricity incl.).
|Routes through Luosto|
|Ends at ←||N S||→ Pyhä → Ends at|