Lupeni is in Hunedoara County, 20 km SW of Petroșani. Lupeni is located at an altitude of 700 m at the foothills of Vâlcan Mountains in the Petrosani Depression. It is crossed by Western Jiu River.
The settlement was founded in 1770 by the establishing in these places of people who came from the Valea Lupului village. These people were called lupeni. Lupeni was declared a city in 1960. During the communist era, one of the major protests against the regime took place here. On 2 August 1977, the miners protested against economic and political abuse they endured for years. The revolt was quickly and brutally ended by the communist authorities, many of the participants being imprisoned and persecuted.
Lupeni is the starting point for any tourist who wants to get on the ski slopes of Straja.
Arrive in one of the railway stations in the Jiu Valley and go from there by car.
- 1 Ski Straja (drive or take the gondola lift). Ski resort in the Vâlcan mountains, at an altitude of 1380-1400 m. Straja Peak has an altitude of 1445 m. Average annual temperature is of 2°C. Rainfall is between 1200mm and 1400mm per year. Prevailing winds are west. The snow is present from December to April. Straja is best known among winter sports enthusiasts here and there are six ski trails and five lifts.
- Restaurant Gloria, Bd. Pacii 8, ☎ .
- Restaurant Montana, Str. Bulevardul Păcii, nr. 41, ☎ .
- Pizza Planet, Str. Tudor Vladimirescu Bl.E1, ☎ .
- Restaurant Valahia, ☎ .
- Cabana Montana, Straja, ☎ .
- Cabana Claudiu, Straja 2/4, ☎ .
- Cabana Daria, Straja, ☎ .
- Complex Turistic Alessia, Tusului 1, ☎ .
- Hostel Lupeni, str. Vascozei 5/3, ☎ .
- Pensiunea Atlas, Straja 1.
- Pensiunea Pakot Elek, Principala 81.
- Motel Victoria, Straja, ☎ .
Lupeni area code is 254 for Romtelecom and 354 for RDS. If you are calling from Romania you must dial 0254(0354) and if you are calling from abroad you must dial +40254(+40354).