Lydney is a small town in the county of Gloucestershire. It is located between the Forest of Dean and the River Severn on the A48.
Bus services from Lydney Bus Station link Lydney with local towns and villages, Gloucester and Chepstow.
- 1 Lydney railway station is on the Gloucester - Newport line. Arriva Trains Wales  operates hourly services from Cheltenham Spa-Maesteg/Cardiff Central. CrossCountry  also operate the Cardiff Central-Nottingham route via Birmingham New Street, which runs six times daily from Monday - Saturday.
- 2 Dean Forest Railway, at the Norchard Steam Centre (on the B4234 Forest Road between Lydney and Whitecroft, about 9 miles from Chepstow). This 4½-mile line runs through beautiful woodland and countryside. 5 stations along the way give you time to explore the local area, take woodland walks, visit country pubs, or venture down to the Severn estuary to explore Lydney Harbour with its views across the Severn. free on non-passenger train days; steam train fares: adult £12, senior £11, child aged 5 to 16: £6, family £30, child under 5 is free, for all-day travel. Cream teas, suppers, galas available -- see the web site.
Walking within the town is possible, however if you plan to travel around the Forest then driving is essential.
There are several taxi companies operating in Lydney. It is advisable to book in advance as, especially during peak times, supply is limited.
There are also a few bus services operating in and around Lydney, however these are infrequent and only cover small parts of the town.
- Lydney Docks.
- 1 Romano-Celtic Temple and Lydney Park. The site was archaeologically excavated in the 1920s by Sir Mortimer Wheeler, with the assistance of J.R.R. Tolkien.
- 2 Dean Forest Railway, Forest Road, GL15 4ET, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 The National Diving & Activity Centre, Tidenham (a couple of miles away along the road to Gloucester A48), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. W-F 9:30AM - 5PM 1st dive 10AM, out of water by 4PM; F-Su & bank holidays: 8AM-5PM, out of water by 4PM.
- 1 Green Man and the Gatekeeper, Now at Taurus Crafts, The Old Park, GL15 6BU (On the A48, Chepstow road from Lydney to Taurus Crafts - Look for the Bull sculpture on your right.), ☏ . Daily 11AM-5PM. Inspired by history, tradition and heritage - original, unique gifts in leather, ceramics and pewter, greetings cards. Green Man plaques, bags, belts, masks, jewellery, brooches, badges, miniatures.
- 1 The Deangate Motel, High Street, GL15 5DX, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: M-Sa 2-8PM; Su 2-5PM. 5 minutes drive from the train station. Continental breakfast is served in your room at £5 per person. Free parking and Wi-Fi. Tea and coffee facilities, flat-screen TV, hairdryer and adjustable heating system. Close to walking tracks and cycling routes, and fishing is available on the nearby Bristol Channel. Single/double with shared bath £39/49; double/twin with private bath £62.50, family room up to 6 £132, disabled access room £71.20.
- 2 Tudor Farmhouse, High Street, Clearwell GL16 8JS, ☏ . Gorgeous little hotel in Elizabethan farmhouse, great British cuisine. B&B double £130.
- 3 Forest House & Andersens, Cinder Hill, Coleford GL16 8HQ, ☏ . Charming hotel with 8 rooms in 18th C villa. Comfy, great dining. No dogs. B&B double £100.
|Routes through Lydney|
|Newport ← Chepstow ←||SW NE||→ Gloucester|