Mae Nam is a beach and a district on Ko Samui's north shore.
Mae Nam is known for it's 7 km stretch of beach. The beach has white sand and is lined by coconut trees. The sea is typically calm, however there is a moderate drift and the water is not usually clear. Mae Nam actually means "river", "mae" meaning mother and "nam" meaning water.
A songthaew from Chaweng (50-100 baht) or Nathon (50 baht) is the cheapest option. Easy to find as the busy ring road bisects Mae Nam.
Songthaew or hired motorbikes are the usual options.
The sunset from the east end of the beach is exceptionally pretty.
Chill out on the beach. There is karting on the main road towards Bophut.
There are a couple of shops near the 7-Eleven in the centre.
- Angela's Bakery (on Rte 4169), ☏ . 08:00-18:00 (kitchen closes at 17:00). Has been open for nearly 10 years and is renowned for its delicious bakery products, from handmade Belgian chocolates to wedding cakes to real bread. There is a cafe attached to the bakery with a menu consisting of European favourites (including brown rice for the health conscious) and Angela's own creations. The breakfasts here are great.
- Eddy's Modern Food & Drinks, 3/3 Moo 1, Rte 4169, ☏ . The food is great value for money and the place has friendly staff. The menu is full of popular dishes and are all served in very generous proportions. This is a great place to go for a casual meal in comfortable surroundings.
- Mister Pu. Delightfully named restaurant at the east end of Mae Nam. Barbecue meat at your own table. All you can eat for 89 baht.
- Oncle Noi. Thai family-owned restaurant on the main street. Very good and very cheap food, often full in the early evening.
- Snack Stop (Near the 7-Eleven by the main crossroads). Italian and Thai cuisine, plus a big vegetarian selection.
There are a few relaxed beach bars with reclining beach beds. For nightlife head to Chaweng.
There is usually a gentle breeze in Mae Nam so air-con is not essential.
- Maenam Village Bungalows, 129/2 Moo 1, ☏ . Nice, clean bungalows, 10 m from the sea. They rent out motorbikes for 200 baht/day. And has an restaurant with very lovely and friendly staff. Western toilets. Close to the beach and 10 min walk to Mae Nam "city centre" (7-Eleven). It's a place for travellers who want to relax and not buzz around like in Chaweng. If you're looking for some relaxing tranquillity, this is where you should go. If you miss the bustle you can always rent a motorbike. 350-400 baht for a fan bungalow.
- Samui Buri Resort, ☏ . Pool villas with personalized service on Mae Nam Beach, one of the quietest beaches on Ko Samui.
- Napasai, ☏ . Napasai is set on an extensive beach front, and offers a choice of individual cottages and luxurious private pool villas with 2 or 3 bedrooms. The resort has a spa, tennis courts, fitness centre, and fine dining, Lai Thai Restaurant and Beach Restaurant. Member of Orient-Express Hotels.
- Rainbow Bungalows. On the east end of the beach. Fan rooms and air-con rooms. 300-700 baht.
- Shangrilah Beach Bungalows (West corner of Mae Nam). Beach shacks are only metres from the water. Beach has 3 lines of coconut palms, absolutely quiet. fan huts 300 baht..
- Siam-Home Bungalows. 1 or 2 room bungalows with separate kitchen and bath, hot water, cable TV. Starting from 5,500 baht per month for a 1 room bungalow and 7,000 baht for a 2 room bungalow. Also cheap rates for shorter stays possible. 5,500 baht per month.