Jump to navigation Jump to search
Makhachkala (Russian: Махачкала́ [məxət͡ɕkɐˈla]) (Avar: МахӀачхъала [maħat͡ʃq͡χːala]) is the capital city of Dagestan and the largest city in the North Caucasus. It is one of the fastest growing cities in Russia and has a population of approximately 595,000.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
A daily train service from Moscow is available, taking two nights. Long-distance connections with Kiev, Novosibirsk and Saint Petersburg among others are 1-2 times each week. Trains heading to and from Baku also call here.
- 1 Makhachkala railway station, ul. V. Emirova, 10.
- 1 Natsional'nyy Muzey Respubliki Dagestan Im. A. Takho-Godi (Национальный музей Республики Дагестан им. А. Тахо-Годи), Ulitsa Daniyalova A. D., 33, ☏ +7 988 292-90-12. 10:00-18:00, closed M. Dagestan history museum, with guns and paintings and taxidermy and other fun stuff.
- 2 Grand Mosque of Makhachkala, Ulitsa Dakhadayeva, 136, ☏ +7 964 007-74-22. open sunrise to sundown usually. Financed by Turkey and completed in 1998, it is made in the likeness of Sultan Ahmed Mosque in Istanbul and is the premier mosque of Dagestan and landmark of Makhachkala.
Anzhi Makhachkala, the local football club.
- 1 Gorodskoy Plyazh. Beach for walking or possibly dipping a toe in if you don't mind a little debris in the water sometimes.
- 2 City Beach. Another beach, where you can potentially unwind and buy a fritter or two.
- 3 Tarki-Tau (approach thru township of Tarki southwest of Makhachkala via secondary roads). A promontory affording views of Makhachkala that can be attained via hiking (or driving) if security concerns permit.
- 4 Dagestan Russian Drama Theater (Дагестанский государственный Русский Драматический Театр им. М. Горького), Prospekt Rasula Gamzatova, 38, ☏ +7 872 267 73 75. A city landmark and fine place for repertory.
- 1 7 Kontinent (7 КОНТИНЕНТ), Ulitsa Yaragskogo, 30, ☏ +7 872 260 00 32. 09ː00-23ː00. A full shopping mall for all your shopping urges.
- 1 Pirosmani, Ulitsa Pushkina, 3, ☏ +7 963 411 32 32. Daily 12:00-00:00. Upscale dining featuring Georgian cuisine.
- 2 Kazan-Mangal (Казан-Мангал), Ulitsa Korkmasova, 33А, ☏ +7 988 292 55 95. Daily 09ː00-23ː00. Caucasian/Georgian cuisine (aubergine, lamb, etc), some English speaking waiters. Subdued ambience.
- 3 Ресторан "Номер 1", Ulitsa Batyraya, 11 (2nd floor Grand Plaza Business Center), ☏ +7 988 649 70 70. M-Sa 09:00-00:00, Su 13:00-00:00. Khan barbeque, kabobs, soup, pumpkin dessert in a warm environment.
- 1 Хостел House (House Hostel), Portovoye Shosse 5, ☏ +7 967 177 77 94. New, clean, and economical beachfront hostel. US$5.
- 2 Маяк, Ulitsa Magidova, д. 36. Another hostel that is fairly clean and spacious, although a bit hard to find. US$7.
- 3 Khostel Cherdak, Ulitsa Ushakova, 6и (close to Merkuriy shopping mall), ☏ +7 928 055-12-82. Hostel with berths/bunks along the walls that will make you feel like you're a sailor. Maybe learn some Russian while you are getting acquainted with your roommates. US$16.
- 4 Gostinitsa "Tsentral'naya" Korpus 2, Ulitsa Daniyalova A. D., 68, ☏ +7 928 809-41-04. Low-key urban hotel with free breakfast and wifi. US$22.
According to many governments, travel in Dagestan is not safe. See the warning at the Dagestan article.