The name "Manalapan" comes from the Lenape word for land of good bread or good land to settle upon.
Manalapan Township is primarily a suburban area and was originally formed by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on March 9, 1848, The area was created from existing portions of Freehold Township.
Englishtown was formed as a borough from portions of Manalapan on January 4, 1888, based on the results of a referendum held the previous day.
Yorketown is an unincorporated area located within Manalapan Township.
The Battle of Monmouth was fought in Monmouth Battlefield State Park, which is in Freehold Township and Manalapan.
- Old Bridge Airport (FAA LID: 3N6) Public-use airport located 9.26 km (5 mn) south of the Old Bridge CBD in Middlesex County. The airport is privately owned and situated next to Old Bridge Township Raceway Park.
The City is served by several nearby international and domestic airports
Please see the New Jersey article for more detailed information on these airports and services.
While there is no designated station for this particular township, the nearest train station, by distance, is Aberdeen-Matawan, which runs along the North Jersey Coast Line towards New York City/Hoboken and Bay Head. The station situates on the intersection of Main Street & Atlantic Avenue in Matawan, New Jersey, approximately 10 miles/23 minutes away from the northern township border between Marlboro and Manalapan.
U.S Highway 9, New Jersey Turnpike, Route 33, Garden State Parkway, Route 527
- U.S. Route 9 is in the northeast
- State Route 33 passes through near the southern part of the township.
- County routes 522 and 527 traverse the municipality.
- County route 537 follows the southeast border of the township.
Other major roads provide access to the area.
- Garden State Parkway is in bordering Old Bridge
- Interstate 195 is in bordering Millstone Township.
- New Jersey Turnpike Interstate 95 is in East Windsor Township (Exit 8) and bordering Monroe Township (Exit 8A).
New Jersey Transit drop-off location Union Hill Road or Gordon’s Corner Rd
- Leon's Taxi & Car Service, 28 Harrison Avenue, Englishtown, ☏ .
- First class Limousine, 187 Rt. 9 South, Englishtown, ☏ .
- Monmouth Battlefield State Park, 347 Freehold Rd, ☏ . Historic battlefield site on the site of the longest battle of the American Revolution. The location is now preserved as an 18th century rural setting with wooded areas, fields, orchards, and wetlands with miles and miles of trails, picnic areas, a restored farmhouse
- Home of Moses Laird, 25 N Main Street Englishtown. General George Washington, before the Battle of Monmouth, and host to the General, on the night of June 29, 1778 and the days following the battle.
- Crest Fruit Farm, 82 Thompsons Grove Rd, ☏ . Pumpkin, apple, and cherry picking during season
- The Great Cannonade, 40° 16.805′ N, 74° 19.054′ W. On June 28, 1778, the largest land artillery battle of the American Revolution raged right here!
- Monmouth County Library
- Manalapan Recreation Center, 120 Rt. 522 & Taylors Mills Rd, ☏ , fax: . M-F 8:30AM-4:30PM. Play sports such as, baseball, soccer, football, tennis, hockey. They also have several playgrounds, two rinks and several fields for the other sports. Teams do play at scheduled times, and they also practice. There is a lot of parking available. Summer camp during the summertime. Food and beverages are available at certain times. They also hold events here like the Memorial Day Tournament.
- Manalapan Under the Stars An annual community celebration featuring rides, concerts, fireworks, and other activities. Held at the Manalapan Recreation Center.
- [formerly dead link] Combat Sports, 58 La Valley Rd, ☏ . Outdoor Laser Tag venue. Play team oriented games like capture the flag. Players ages 9 yrs and above.
- Knob Hill Golf Course, 1 Shinnecock Dr. 18 hole golf course with distinctive front nine, catering to the target golfer. The back nine allows you to hit the ball a little harder and worry less about trouble.
- Avanti Salon & Spa, 345 Route 9 South, ☏ . Day spa and salon for women.
- [dead link] Knob Hill Country Lanes Bowling Center, 363 Route 33 East (From New Jersey Turnpike take the exit to Hightstown/Freehold. After the toll plaza bear right and take Route 33 East for 7.5 miles. The Bowling Center will be on your right.), ☏ . S 9AM-11PM, M Tu W Th 9AM-midnight, F Sa 9AM-1AM. Competitive league and fun league bowling, children’s birthday parties, corporate events, cosmic bowling, fund raising events/tournament. Video games and an arcade. Snack bar with food and beverages, including alcoholic ones. Private rooms available for a party or an event rooms with a host/hostess. Shoe rental and bowling balls. Something to do for all ages.
- Fireball Mountain, 1959 Englishtown Road, Old Bridge, ☏ . Family fun paintball, suitable for ages 10+. Discounts available in local Rt. 9 shopper, come experience at time of your life.
- [formerly dead link] Party Gym Inc, 310 US Highway 9 Englishtown, New Jersey 07726, ☏ . Children's Party & Play Center Party Gym Inc is a one-stop provider of fun for the family in New Jersey.
- Freehold Raceway Mall, 3710 US Highway 9 Freehold, ☏ . Shopping for all with many designer stores such as Nordstroms, Express, Macys, Lord and Taylor, Coach, and Footlocker.
- Best Buy, 15 US Highway 9, ☏ . For electronic needs in a large super store.
- Wegmans, 55 US Highway 9 South, ☏ . One of the largest supermarkets with many prepared food selections.
- Yorktown Shopping Center, 300 Gordons Corner Rd. Fiargos, Pennie Shop, Belize Tans, and Elite Fitness.
- Target, 55 US Highway 9, ☏ .
- Foodtown, 9 Tennent Ave, ☏ . Local branch of chain grocery store with freshly prepared meals, sandwich station, deli counter, and great fish selection.
- Pino's Italian Restaurant, 448 US Hwy 9, ☏ . Italian cuisine, with full bar, and valet parking lot. Casual attire and acceptable for family dinners.
- Peking Pavilion, 110 State Route 33, ☏ . Chinese cuisine with full service bar, acceptable for family with casual attire.
- Dusal's Pizza, 340 Union Hill Road Manalapan, NJ 07726 (It is across from the shopping center with Wawa and Rosie Posie's in it. It is next to a barber and Pastosa's. It is also next to another shopping center on Union Hill. There is a stop light right before it.), ☏ . 10AM-10PM daily. It is a great and friendly pizza place that gives you that small town feeling. On top of being a pizza place they also have a great restaurant attached, which is great for family dinners. The people there are really kind and friendly. They do not deliver, but they are definitely worth a drive. $9-$15.
- WaWa, 345 Union Hill Rd, ☏ . Franchise convenient store, with top of the line products, great coffee, deli station and fresh fruit daily.
- Michael's Cucina Italia, 333 US Highway 9 Englishtown, NJ 07726-3271, ☏ . Great Italian food, great bread, service, fair pricing, large portion meals.
- La Rosa Chicken & GrillLa, 285 Gordons Corner Rd # 7 Manalapan, NJ 07726-3343, ☏ . Great prepared chicken, grilled, fried, in a sandwich, you name it they do it.
- Yo Mon Gourmet Yogurt.
- Lounge Cafe, 318 US Highway 9, Englishtown, ☏ .
The city and surrounding area has a rising crime rate. Use care and common sense especially if moving about the district at night, on your own or in areas in which you may easily become disorientated.
Manalapan Township has a Police Department.
- Manalapan Township Police Department (In an emergency always call 911), 120 Freehold Rd, ☏ , (Traffic). 24 hr.
- 911 for immediate attention by the Police, Fire Department and to summon Emergency Medical Assistance.
Local governement services
- Manalapan Township administration, ☏ .
- Centra State Hospital, ☏ .
- Jersey Shore Medical Center, ☏ .
- Monmouth Medical Center, ☏ .
- Raritan Bay Medical Center, ☏ .
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital, ☏ .
New York City can be easily reached through U.S. Route 9 North, following the signs. Public transport regularly services passengers toward New York City through bus lines: 139 (regular service between Lakewood and New York City Port Authority Bus Terminal, or "PABT"), 132 (same as 139, but express between Gordon's Corner Road and Old Bridge), and 130 (express between PABT and Union Hill Road Park & Ride in the neighboring Marlboro Township).
Crawford Hill the former site of a radar facility, is the county's highest point at least 380 feet (116 m) above sea level. The top portion of the hill is owned by Alcatel-Lucent and houses a research laboratory of Bell Laboratories.
The Locust neighborhood of Middletown Township
Monmouth County a mecca of boating and fishing. Its waterways include several rivers and bays
New York Harbor
Manasquan River, a bay-like body of saltwater that serves as the starting point of the Intracoastal Waterway.
- Middlesex County, New Jersey is to the northwest
- Ocean County, New Jersey is to the south
- Millstone Township is to the immediate south
- Burlington County, New Jersey is to the southwest
- Mercer County, New Jersey is to the west
- Richmond County, New York is to the north
- Queens County, New York is to the northeast
- Marlboro Township is to the immediate northeast
- The Atlantic Ocean lies a short distance and several counties to the east
- Freehold Township is to the immediate east
Gateway National Recreation Area The Sandy Hook section of this recreation area is within Monmouth County.
|Routes through Manalapan|
|New York City ← Old Bridge ←||N S||→ Freehold → Cape May|