Malate is an interesting but gritty and dirty area in Manila.
The best way to get to Malate with luggage, regardless of what part of the city you come from, is by taxi. You can walk a few hundred meters left till the Circulo De Mundo Rotunda, and negotiate a ride with a white taxi (₱200 to ₱300 depending on traffic, time and your bargaining skills). The meter is optional, but if you insist on having it plugged, make sure that it starts at ₱40. Give the taxi driver not only the name of your hotel, but also the street and the street corner to insure a precise drop-off.
The LTFRB (Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board) has instituted hotline numbers to report errant drivers: take note of the cab name and number. Mall operators also closely monitor the operations of taxis that utilise their taxi ranks by ensuring that cab drivers do not choose only those passengers bound for nearby destinations.
Malate is also on the LRT Line 1, with three stations (United Nations, Pedro Gil and Vito Cruz) all being about 1km from most places in Malate.
- 1 Malate Church (Nuestra Señora de Remedios), 2000 M.H. Del Pilar St., corner Remedios St., ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Baroque-style church founded in 1594 and rebuilt in 1864.
- 1 Aristocrat, 423 San Andres St, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Now a chain, it has been one of the most famous and longest-lasting restaurants in Manila. Serves Filipino food at decent prices. It has been closed down due to concerns about wastewater disposal.
- 2 Cafe Adriatico, 1790 Adriatico St. corner Remedios Circle, ☏ . The flagship of LJC Restaurant Group. Open from 7AM to 6AM the following day (4AM on Sundays). A popular hang-out place for locals and tourists. Among the café’s specialties are Chicken Kiev, Spareribs Adobo, Salpicao Rice, Callos, Lengua Estofada, Classic Café Adriatico Burger, Pancit Palabok, and an authentic spanish hot chocolate beverage called “Chocolate Eh’.
- 3 Casa Armas, 573 J. Nakpil St, ☏ . Specialties: paella, cuchinillo (must be ordered 6 hours in advance) and garlic crab Thanh Long style (admittedly not very Spanish but great nonetheless).
- 4 Korean Village Restaurant, 566 Nakpil St, ☏ . From kimchi to its beef stew, japchae, and bulgogi to Korean ice cream bars. Order à-la-carte or yakiniku style.
- 5 Tanabe Japanese Restaurant, 553 Remedios St, ☏ . Superb Unagi (eel), must-try Usuyaki beef with enoki mushrooms, quality sushi & sashimi and value for money bento boxes.
- 6 Market Café, 588 Pedro Gil St. corner M.H. del Pilar St (5th floor of New Coast Hotel Manila.), ☏ (Reservations). US Angus Rib Eye grilled to perfection. Butterfly Prawns with Risotto. New York Cheesecake that kind of stuff.
There are loads of bars and clubs in Malate, catering to many different tastes. Some can be a bit sleazy, but many are not.
- Bedrock, 1782 M. Adriatico St, ☏ . Flintstones-themed bar/eatery. Wonderfully weird and often a bit camp. They have live music nights.
Budget Under 1000
- 1 Chill Out Guest house, 612 Remedios street (near Remedios circle), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Fan double rooms with or without window. Free tea and coffee, free wifi, open kitchen. Fan double room ₱650/900.
- 2 Leesons Residences, 944 Remedios Street (corner San Pascual), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. It provides furnished units for as low as ₱10000 a month and unfurnished units for as low as ₱9000 a month.
- 3 Malate Pensionne, 1771 Adriatico St., ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. An OK place 2 buildings away from Wanderers GH and worth having a look. economy room ₱750.
- 4 Pension Natividad, 1690 MH del Pilar St, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-out: noon. Clean, secure and friendly staff. Fan Dorm ₱400, fan room ₱1000,.
- 5 Pink Manila hostel, 2551 Don Pedro street cor. Bautista street (near Vito Cruz LRT station), ☏ . Fan dorm beds. Has a swimming pool. Fan dorm ₱450.
- 6 Victoria Mansions, 600 J. Nakpil (Corner J. Bocobo), ☏ . Fan double rooms with own bathroom. ₱800.
- 7 Wanderers Guest house (Stay Malate Hostel (formerly Friendly’s Guest House)), Adriatico street, ☏ . Check-in: 1pm, check-out: 12 noon. One of the cheapest places in town, it offers clean 12-bed fan dorms and 8-bed A/C dorms. it's on the 3/4th floor overlooking Malate. Bar and snack restaurant on the terrace lodge with cheap beer and cocktails. Friendly staff and relaxed atmosphere. Free WI-FI. ₱818.
- Humble Hut Hostel, 1717 Maria Orosa Street, ☏ . Check-in: 1pm, check-out: 12 noon. 6-, 10-, 14 bed a/c dorms. Free Wi-Fi. from ₱377 per person.
- New Solanie Hotel, 1811 Leon Guinto St, ☏ . All rooms equipped with air-conditioning, Wireless/LAN Internet access and TV with cable/satellite channels. Some of its facilities and services are Business center, Meeting facilities, function rooms, Transportation service, tour assistance, Wi-Fi Internet access and 24-hour room service. Rates start at ₱2180.
- New Coast Hotel Manila, 1588 Pedro Gil Corner MH Del Pilar, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 5-star hotel with views of Manila Bay. Has a Casino and a spa.
- Greater Grace Church, 2640 Dian St. Services Su 10:30AM, W 6:30PM. Non-denominational evangelical church.