Malate is an interesting but gritty and dirty area in Manila.
The best way to get to Malate with luggage, regardless of what part of the city you come from, is by taxi. You can walk a few hundred meters left till the Circulo De Mundo Rotunda, and negotiate a ride with a white taxi (₱200 to ₱300 depending on traffic, time and your bargaining skills). The meter is optional, but if you insist on having it plugged, make sure that it starts at ₱40. Give the taxi driver not only the name of your hotel, but also the street and the street corner to insure a precise drop-off.
The LTFRB (Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board) has instituted hotline numbers to report errant drivers: take note of the cab name and number. Mall operators also closely monitor the operations of taxis that utilise their taxi ranks by ensuring that cab drivers do not choose only those passengers bound for nearby destinations.
Malate is also on the LRT Line 1, with three stations (United Nations, Pedro Gil and Vito Cruz) all being about 1km from most places in Malate.
- 1 Malate Church (Nuestra Señora de Remedios), 2000 M.H. Del Pilar St., corner Remedios St., ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Baroque-style church founded in 1594 and rebuilt in 1864.
- 1 Aristocrat, 432 San Andres St, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Now a chain, it has been one of the most famous and longest-lasting restaurants in Manila. Serves Filipino food at decent prices. It has been closed down due to concerns about wastewater disposal.
- 2 Cafe Adriatico, 1790 Adriatico St. corner Remedios Circle, ☏ . The flagship of LJC Restaurant Group. Open from 7AM to 6AM the following day (4AM on Sundays). A popular hang-out place for locals and tourists. Among the café’s specialties are Chicken Kiev, Spareribs Adobo, Salpicao Rice, Callos, Lengua Estofada, Classic Café Adriatico Burger, Pancit Palabok, and an authentic spanish hot chocolate beverage called “Chocolate Eh’.
- 3 Casa Armas, 573 J. Nakpil St, ☏ . Specialties: paella, cuchinillo (must be ordered 6 hours in advance) and garlic crab Thanh Long style (admittedly not very Spanish but great nonetheless).
- 4 Korean Village Restaurant, 566 Nakpil St. From kimchi to its beef stew, japchae, and bulgogi to Korean ice cream bars. Order à-la-carte or yakiniku style.
- 5 Lolo Dad's Cafe, 899 Pres. Quirino Ave, ☏ . Gourmet Filipino cuisine. Try their lamb specialties such as the roasted lamb cutlet and lamb shoulder ragout.
- Ryuen Yakiniku, Maria Orosa corner Nakpil St. (Part of the Gyumon group of restaurants). Make sure to order the Jo Karubi beef
- 6 Tanabe Japanese Restaurant, 553 Remedios St, ☏ . Superb Unagi (eel), must-try Usuyaki beef with enoki mushrooms, quality sushi & sashimi and value for money bento boxes.
- 7 The Fireplace, 588 Pedro Gil St. corner M.H. del Pilar St (5th floor of Hyatt Hotel and Casino.), ☏ (Reservations). US Angus Rib Eye grilled to perfection. Butterfly Prawns with Risotto. Potato Gratin. New York Cheesecake.
There are loads of bars and clubs in Malate, catering to many different tastes. Some can be a bit sleazy, but many are not.
- Bedrock, 1782 M. Adriatico St, ☏ . Flintstones-themed bar/eatery. Wonderfully weird and often a bit camp. They have live music nights.
- [dead link] Penguin Gallery, 604 Remidios Circle, ☏ . 6PM-2AM. One of the coolest and most Bohemian joints in town. They have many of the best bands and groups play live, especially at weekends. ₱150.
Budget Under 1000
- 1 Chill Out Guest house, 612 Remedios street (near Remedios circle), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Fan double rooms with or without window. Free tea and coffee, free wifi, open kitchen. Fan double room ₱650/900.
- 2 Golden Mango Inn, 1715 Bocobo St (corner Pedro Gil St), ☏ . A/C double rooms with cable tv. ₱850.
- 3 Leesons Residences, 944 Remedios Street (corner San Pascual), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. It provides furnished units for as low as ₱10000 a month and unfurnished units for as low as ₱9000 a month.
- 4 Malate Pensionne, 1771 Adriatico St., ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. An OK place 2 buildings away from Wanderers GH and worth having a look. economy room ₱750.
- 5 Pension Natividad, 1690 MH del Pilar St, ☏ , , , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-out: noon. Clean, secure and friendly staff. Fan Dorm ₱400, fan room ₱1000,.
- 6 [dead link] Pink Manila hostel, 2551 Don Pedro street cor. Bautista street (near Vito Cruz LRT station), ☏ . Fan dorm beds. Has a swimming pool. Fan dorm ₱450.
- 7 Victoria Mansions, 600 J. Nakpil (Corner J. Bocobo), ☏ . Fan double rooms with own bathroom. ₱800.
- 8 Wanderers Guest house (formerly Friendly’s Guest House), Adriatico street, ☏ . Check-in: 1pm, check-out: 12 noon. One of the cheapest places in town, it offers clean 12-bed fan dorms and 8-bed A/C dorms. it's on the 3/4th floor overlooking Malate. Bar and snack restaurant on the terrace lodge with cheap beer (₱40 a can) and cocktails (₱60-70). Friendly staff and relaxed atmosphere. Free WI-FI. Fan dorm ₱350. A/c dorm ₱400..
- 9 Where 2 Next – Manila Hostel, 1776 Adriatico St, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. A modern hostel owned by two Filipino-Australian sisters. 24-hour reception, Internet access, A/C, luggage lockers, linens and towels, cable TV, a common room, kitchen, and free Wi-Fi. Dorm ₱550.
- New Casa Pensionne, 1602 Leon Guinto cor Pedro gil, ☏ , . For reservations please call. Fan single common bathroom ₱425, fan double common bathroom ₱590, a/c single common bathroom ₱600, a/c double common bathroom ₱750, a/c double with private bathroom ₱890.
- Lovely Moon Pension, 1718 J bocobo street malate. (400 m from the Robinsons mall), ☏ , . Fan double room with out side bathrooms. ₱500 per 24 hours.
- Casa De Antonio Pension Inn., 2030 Adriatico street Malate. (400 m from remedios circle), ☏ , . Fan double room with Cable TV. Outside bathrooms. ₱500 per 24 hours.
- Santos Pension House, 1540 A Mabini Street, ☏ . Check-out: noon. Fan double room with outside bathroom. 560.
- Bahay Kubo Hostel, 1717 Maria Orosa Street, ☏ . Check-in: 1pm, check-out: 12 noon. 6-, 10-, 14 bed a/c dorms. Free Wi-Fi. from ₱377 per person..
- Sohotel, 2016 M. H. del Pilar St, ☏ . They run a 'service car' that charges you afterwards, with a high price above normal taxi fares. This hotel features 24-hour room service that takes over an hour to arrive and themed rooms that can also accommodate parties and other celebrations. The rooms smell and are not cleaned well, and the staff are dishonest.
- New Solanie Hotel, 1811 Leon Guinto St, ☏ . All rooms equipped with air-conditioning, Wireless/LAN Internet access and TV with cable/satellite channels. Some of its facilities and services are Business center, Meeting facilities, function rooms, Transportation service, tour assistance, Wi-Fi Internet access and 24-hour room service. Rates start at ₱2180.
- Taft Tower Hotel, 29th Floor EGI Taft Tower, 2339 Taft Avenue, Malate, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Taft Tower Hotel guarantees maximum convenience when staying in the Philippines's capital city. Near Manila's commercial and business districts, The hotel offers 44 spacious rooms that provides utmost comfort with offerings of a well-appointed bath and shower, cable TV, and Internet access. Rates start at ₱2430.
- Hyatt Hotel and Casino Manila, 1588 Pedro Gil Corner MH Del Pilar, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 5-star hotel with views of Manila Bay. Has a Casino and a spa.
- Greater Grace Church, 2640 Dian St. Services Su 10:30AM, W 6:30PM. Non-denominational evangelical church.