Jump to navigation Jump to search
Marion is in the Arkansas Delta, and is like a middle-class Memphis suburb on the Arkansas side, if there was one. You'll find a supply of higher quality hotels and restaurants here, but, more interestingly, a museum about a tragic event that occurred at the end of the Civil War.
This town is just north of I-40, on the west side of the Hernando de Soto Bridge from [[Memphis (Tennessee)|Memphis).
- 1 Sultana Disaster Museum, 104 Washington St, ☏ +1 870 739-6041. Th-Sa 10AM-4PM, Su 2PM-4PM. This museum recounts the tragedy of when a steamboat carrying Union POWs back home exploded on April 27, 1865, taking some 1500 lives with it in what is considered to be the largest loss of life in a maritime disaster in US history.
- 1 Wapanocca National Wildlife Refuge, 178 Hammond Ave, Turrell (about 15 miles north of Marion along US 77), ☏ +1 870 343-2595. Representative of the Northern Backswamps, with bald cypresses and tupelos, and the Northern Holocene Meander Belts, with oxbow lakes and levees, of the Arkansas Delta region.
- 1 Tacker's Shake Shack, 409 E Military Rd, ☏ +1 870 739-3943. M-W 6AM-8PM, Th-Sa 6AM-9PM. A diner with lots of Elvis, Lucille Ball, and John Wayne memorabilia, and probably food akin to burgers and shakes that is not so good for you, if you are into that.
- 2 Colton's Steak House & Grill, 303 Angelos Grove Blvd, ☏ +1 870 739-1900. M-Th 11AM-9PM, F-Sa 11AM-10PM. Steakhouse with an old West type theme and peanuts to snack on. It's a regional chain but kind of unique nonetheless.
- 1 Hampton Inn Marion, 310 Angelo's Grove Rd, ☏ +1 870 739-2800. Their outdoor pool is next to a field. $99.
- 2 Best Western Plus Executive Residency Marion, 100 Hannah Ln, ☏ +1 870 559-4155. Very utilitarian for the interstate traveler, but with an indoor pool nonetheless. $86.