Marjayoun is in South Lebanon.
This town has seen a lot of war since its existence, from the Crusades to WWII entanglements between British/Australian forces and Vichy France, to the 1982 Lebanon War and conflicts between Israel and Hezbollah in 2006. But the location is appealing, situated in the fertile Jordan Rift Valley with a view of Mount Hermon to the east.
- 1 Beaufort Crusader Castle (22 km southwest of Marjayoun via Marjayoun - Bint Jbeil Nabatiyeh - Marjayoung Roads). The Crusaders put on a good front here, but were ultimately defeated by Saladin in 1190 and then even more definitively by Sultan Baibars in 1268. Ironically, it ended up also becoming a military stronghold and target between the PLO and IDF in more modern times. A great medieval castle to explore.
- 2 Mahatma Gandhi Park. Garden with Gandhi statue to commemorate the Indian regiment that assisted the UN's peacekeeping effort in Southern Lebanon.
- 3 St. Peter Cathedral. 19th-century church.
- 1 Oakland Nature Park, Rachaiya - Marjaayoun Rd. Zoo, go-kart rides, kabobs on the grill, duckpond.
- 2 Al Sawana Park and swimming pool (منتزه و مسبح الصوانة), ☏ . A pool among orchards.
- 1 Kalaa Resort (just a 1/2 km or so south of Beaufort Castle), ☏ . Hotel with restaurant and terrace.