Mazeri is a mountain village in Upper Svaneti of Northwestern Georgia.
Mazeri is the most famous village in Becho Community, Upper Svaneti.
It is about 20 km from Mestia in an amazing valley of Dolra river, 1600 m above sea, and surrounded by wide green meadows and snow-capped mountain peaks. Mazeri now is the base for several most beautiful Svaneti trekking routes.
This land used to belong to the Princess Dadeshkeliani. There was a 10-storey tower that the owners blew up in 1921. The ruins can still be found near the village.
Tourism in Svaneti probably began to develop from this village. Here, thru Becho pass, many tourists and climbers arrived, as this pass is the most convenient for the transition from Russia to Svaneti. Besides, a lot of climbers who come to conquer Ushba stayed in Becho.
There is no public transport going directly to Mazeri. The closest public transport path is Zugdidi - Mestia main road. If you go by Marshrutka from Zugdidi you should get off about 16 km before Mestia, near turn to Becho (Mazeri). From this point to Mazeri is about 7 km. You can walk this distance in 1-1½ hours, or somebody from your guesthouse can pick up you here. It is also possible to hitchhike.
Besides the unforgettable landscapes and beautiful valley Shikhra, Becho is famous for its numerous mineral springs. There are several large waterfalls around the village. Also you can see a ruins of the Princes Dadeshkeliani castle, old church and ancient Svaneti Tower.
Svaneti trekking routes from Mazeri (Mount Ushba)
Mazeri - Mount Ushba glacier trekking
- Dolra river, waterfalls, views of peaks of Ushba and Mount Mazeri, glacier. Horseback ride is possible for a first part of the route.
- altitude start/end: 1,600/2,700 m; duration: 8-9 hr by foot; length: 8½ km
Mazeri - Baki pass - Etseri trekking
- possible by foot or horseback
- length: 15 km; duration: 6-8 hr; altitude start/end: 1,700/1,450 m; highest point: 2,460 m
Mazeri - Guli pass - Koruldi lakes - Mestia trekking
- possible by foot or horseback
- length: 16 km; duration: 8 hr; altitude start/end: 1,600/1,420 m; highest point: 2,960 m
Staying in one of Mazeri village guesthouses is a good opportunity to try traditional Svanetian food, cooked with fresh natural local eco products.
Clean and natural mineral water from a healing mineral water springs.
You can stay at the several homestays and family guest houses offering accommodation and full board meals for reasonable money. There is one hotel with high quality service but the price considerably higher than in guesthouses.
A good option for backpack travellers is Peak Mazeri guesthouse, in a renovated old Svan house, standing on a great green glade. They have their own horses and mineral water spring near the house. Also it is possible to put up a tent in the guesthouse camping zone.
- Grand Hotel Ushba, Tvebishi, Mestias rajoni, Svaneti, Georgia.
- Peak Mazeri Guest House (A family mini hotel in Svaneti Mestia region - Peak Mazeri Guest House), Mestia district, Mazeri, Becho community, Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti, Georgia, ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Amazing location at the foot of Mount Ushba. Nice mountain view rooms and tasty food. Horseback riding. Free pickup by our car. You can start Ushba trekking here.