Europe > Caucasus > Armenia > Southern Armenia > Meghri
Meghri is a city in Southern Armenia. Although the village of nearby Agarak is technically the crossing point into Iran, this is the last major centre and the gateway for those entering. The sheer jagged brown mountains here jut up from the thick waters of the Arax River. The old mud adobe architecture of the city is crumbling, much of it replaced with Soviet, but parts of it remain for those who want a taste of a town with a very middle eastern flair. There are a few churches, 2 of them are in very good condition and absolutely covered in frescoes inside. A series of fortress/fortifications above the city are some of the most recent in Armenia, only a couple of centuries old.
Marshutni/bus, car, taxi from all points north in Armenia.
From the border crossing with Iran
Take a taxi to Agarak border crossing, it's a 8km ride and costs 2,000. Cross the border and arrange a taxi (10-15$) or hitch a ride with an Iranian trucker to Jolfa - first Iranian city having proper transport options.
By foot or car/taxi.
The old churches, the older sections of town which surround them, the fortresses, the Arax River.
- Fortress Megry. Built in XVII century.
- Astvatsatsin Mets Taha church. Built in XVII century.
- Church of St. Sargis Pokr Taha. Built in XVII century.
- As well as ethnographic houses (XVIII - XX centuries.)
- Mégret Wank church. Built in XV - XVIII centuries.
Food can be ordered in B&Bs as well as in a few barbecue joints along the road.
- Mila Hotel, Adelyan 2nd Ln, ☏ (+374 2860) 3180 , (091) 207142 , 332745 , (094) 350767 . Amenities: hot, cold water in Luxe rooms, TV in all rooms, refrigerator, 15-20,000.
- Jemma's Hotel, 5 Nshagortsner Str., Agarak village (A few km west of Meghri), ☏ (+374 2860) 21480 , (093) 415051 , (091)275051 . Luxes have TV, hot/cold water, heating 3-20,000.
- Hotel Aygedzor, Aygedzor village (not in meghri!), ☏ (+374 2860) 43340 , (094) 602006 . hot, cold water, TV set, refrigerator, bathroom, toilet, restaurant, horse-riding, swimming pool, hunting (upon request), cow milking 15.000 AMD (per room).
- Haer B&B (Follow the road north along the hill from the main square starting at the postoffice. After the cemeteries on your left a road will go up the hill, with the B&B on the right.). 6000 to sleep, 2000 for breakfast, 2000 for dinner.
|Routes through Meghri|
|Kapan ←||N S||→ Ends at Armenian-Irani border|