Melbourne's inner south contains a number of suburbs and places worthy of a visit. The landscape varies from industrial ports to glitzy waterfront localities. South Melbourne forms the core, along with Port Melbourne. Albert Park is centred around a large lake in Albert Park, and is home to the famous Grand Prix Circuit.
South Melbourne is a secret jewel of Melbourne. Centred around Clarendon Street, an extension of Spencer Street, the whole district has been settled by Greeks and Italians, quite close to where they first landed at the Port of Melbourne.
Home to magnificent examples of the late Victorian era of architecture and one of the cities wealthiest suburbs, Albert Park is known internationally as the location for the Australian Formula One Grand Prix, a road circuit which circumnavigates Albert Park Lake.
Albert Park is bordered by the suburbs of Port Melbourne to the west, South Melbourne to the north, Middle Park to the east and Port Phillip Bay to the south. St Vincent's Gardens and the surrounding Victorian architecture is a sight to behold.
There are abundant traveling options: trams, trains, buses and ferries.
Tram route 1 terminates at South Melbourne beach, while tram routes 12, 58 and 96 also go through the inner south.
Clarendon Street has heaps of shops of all varieties.
- 1 South Melbourne Market. A large food and retail market, with lots of shops selling fresh food as well as delis, cafes and clothes shops. It retains many of the features of yesteryear.
- Safeway South Melbourne. Just opposite the market. Open till 12.
- 2 Grays, 303 Clarendon Street, ☎ . An eclectic mix of 20th-century decorative and household items. Stock can include some relatively inexpensive home furnishings. Stuff seems to change regularly.
- Avenue Bookstore, 127 Dundas Place, Albert Park, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. 9AM-7PM daily. This excellent bookstore has a wide range of well selected works.
- Andrew's Hamburgers, 144 Bridport Street, Albert Park. 11AM-9PM daily. Popular old-school hamburger cafe
- Grays, 303 Clarendon Street, ☎ . Eclectic mix of mainly 20th century pieces. Stock changes regularly.
- 1 The Sebel Citigate Albert Park Melbourne, 65 Queens Road, ☎ . The Albert Park hotel is ideally located opposite Albert Park Lake, home of Australia’s Grand Prix track. A modern Albert Park hotel moments from St Kilda Road business district and a short tram ride to Melbourne's CBD.
- The Albert Park Gatehouse. Lovely 3 bedroom apartment located just around the corner from the vibrant Victoria Avenue.
- The Stables. A unique 2 bedroom apartment set amongst the beautiful suburb of Middle Park
- Nomads Market Inn, Cecil St (near York St and the South Melbourne Market), ☎ , toll-free: 1800 241 445, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Dorm beds from $19, double/twin $58, triple $72.
- The Glass House. The Glass House. A spacious 3 bedroom apartment situated close to the famous South Melbourne Market.
- Napier Cottage. A lovely 2 bedroom cottage situated only 5 minutes walk from the Clarendon Street shopping precinct.
- Pullman Albert Park. 5* hotel with stunning views over the park, with pool, gym, restaurant and large atrium bar.