Mesquite is a city in Clark County, in Southern Nevada, about 80 mi (130 km) northeast of Las Vegas. It is immediately on the Nevada-Arizona border, near Utah. The town is on the north bank of the Virgin River, with the smaller settlement of Bunkerville on the south side of the river. Mesquite is a boomtown, attracting tourists and permanent residents. The town's population is about 19,000 (2018). Its biggest industry is tourism.
- Interstate 15 has two exits (#120 and #122) for Mesquite. The town has built up around the freeway and is a favorite "truck stop" for all sorts of travelers. It is the only significant population center on the freeway between Las Vegas and St. George.
- 1 Virgin River Gorge. Worth a short drive into Utah. Beware of dangerous curves and, at times, low visibility, but when conditions are clear, the drive is amazing. Take Interstate 15 north through a small sliver of Arizona, then into Utah for more of nature's wonder.
- 2 Virgin Valley Heritage Museum, ☏ . Free.
If you win...
Chances are that, if you win it big in Mesquite and you are not a U.S. citizen your winnings will be subject to a 30% withholding tax from the Internal Revenue Service. That $10,000 slot winning can dwindle quite quickly if that is taken off the top. Not to worry though you can reclaim your gambling winnings tax through a 1042-S form. You should get this from the casino so don't lose it: it is your starting ticket to getting your gambling winnings back.
Mesquite has a few gambling opportunities.
- 2 Mesquite Gaming, 950 W Mesquite Blvd. Casino part of the CasaBlanca hotel resort.
- Eureka Casino. Casino part of the Eureka hotel resort. Has traditional table games, slots, bookmaking and bingo.
- Virgin River Casino. Casino part of the Virgin River hotel resort.
Because of its longtime function as a highway stop, fast food is very common in Mesquite. All varieties are available, including McDonald's, Del Taco, Dairy Queen, Jack In The Box, and KFC.
Mesquite has become less of a "stop" and more of a destination in recent years, so more fine dining establishments should become available in the years to come. Most casinos offer a typical Vegas-style low-cost buffet.
There are several major resort casinos in Mesquite. The first of these was the Peppermill, now known as Oasis. Now closed due to economic pressures, and mostly demolished.
- 1 CasaBlanca, 950 W Mesquite Blvd, ☏ . 480-room hotel-casino built by Merv Griffin. Has a RV park.
- 2 Virgin River, 100 E Pioneer Blvd, ☏ . Has the town's local movie theater and a bowling alley.
- 3 Eureka, 275 Mesa Blvd, ☏ .
- St. George - 30 miles northeast of Mesquite. Traveling to St. George via Interstate 15 offers some spectacular scenery in the Virgin River Gorge.
- Las Vegas - 80 miles southwest of Mesquite.
- Zion National Park - Zion, Bryce Canyon, and other natural wonders are within easy reach of Mesquite.
|Routes through Mesquite|
|Salt Lake City ← St. George ←||N S||→ North Las Vegas → Las Vegas|