Serviced by the highway and the main train line, Middelfart is easily accessible. Billund Lufthavn is the nearest airport, and a car rental can be found there. Driving to Middelfart from Billund takes roughly an hour, and the same can be done by bus with transfer in Vejle.
Middelfart is not a large city, so transport in Middelfart is mainly by foot. Walking around in the forests west of Middelfart, on the newly renovated waterfront (with a view of both bridges) with the Cultural Island ("Kulturøen" - housing the tourist information) or in the narrow streets of the old town is nice in the summertime.
Of course, Middelfart is not housing international and/or famous sightseeings, but the beautiful nature and the old buildings in the town are not to be missed.
- 1 Kulturøen (the Cultural Island). a fairly new building on the waterfront build after the architectural principle of no right angles. The tourist information, the cinema, the library and a restaurant (shifting owner and concept about once a month due to constant bankruptcy) is to be found here. Just outside this building is a marina.
- 2 Sanct Nikolaus Church (almost right on the harbour, only separated by a road and a small hill). a large Lutheran church
- Den gamle og nye lillebæltsbro (the old and the new Little Belt bridges) are two bridges, one carrying the highway and the other a road and the rail.
- The old town is an area in central Middelfart. It consists of narrow streets with old row houses where a few galleries and smaller shops are to be found.
- 3 The Commercial center (Algade and Østergade in central Middelfart). Several local boutiques are to be found here, including interesting local special shops.
- 4 Kongebroskoven (a walk from Gammelhavn (the old harbour) through Kongebro forest leading to the old timber framed Grimmermosehuset and the beach in front (although swimming is not permitted) and the 5-star Kongebrogården hotel just beside Kobakken, the slope for sledging where every child goes when the snow falls.).
- 5 Hindsgavl Castle (2 km out of the city centre). The castle is used for conferences and meetings. There is a restaurant too. The garden is very beautiful and romantic though
- 6 CLAY (Ceramics Museum) (at the coast in the northern end of Middelfart). Tu,Th,Sa,Su 10:00-17:00. W 10:00-20:00; Apr-Oct also M 10:00-17:00. Old and modern danish ceramics in beautiful surroundings. The cafe have cakes and sandwiches. DKK 100.
- Run With the large forests and many marked paths, Middelfart is a runner's paradise. There are routes for everyone (2½ km to half marathon distance) and most of them have a beautiful view of the surrounding sound Fænøsund and the Little Belt. A large field with public cows (seriously) is also to be found by the routes, and the cows will follow you as soon as you open the gate and run through. They are very friendly and curious. Also, participate in Middelfart Half Marathon - an open race in the spring with 4-5000 runners crossing the bridges.
- Visit small galeries and museums Small galeries are to be found throughout the city and are often interesting to visit. There are a few museums in the old town on Algade.
- Jazzfestival There is an annual jazz festival in Middelfart with lots of both local, national and international artists. The festival lasts for 3–4 days and the city is vibrant due to the events all over the city centre and a few places outside. All concerts are outdoor, but the weather gods always shows to be fair for these days. Cheap beer is sold throughout the town.
- 1 Lillebælt Bridge Walking (Starts at Hindsgavl Naturcenter on the Funen side), ☏ . Mo-Fr 10:00-16:00; Sa-Su 10:00-17:00. Walk and climb the old railway bridge between Fyn and Jylland. Enjoy the beautiful nature in every direction. And you have a good chance to spot a harbour porpoise jumping our of the water. DKK 289 (online).
- 1 Holms, Algade 60, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Good traditional Danish food main course DKK 200.
- 2 Den Hvide Dame (The White Lady), Hindsgavl Allé 7 (at Hindsgavl Castle, after the reception), ☏ . to 21:30. The menu is limitied but delicious. Some of the vegetables are grown in the garden at the castle. The surroundings are amazing, especially if you can eat outside on the terrasse. two course dinner: DKK 325, six courses: DKK 595, lunch DKK 120.
- 3 Restaurant Fænøsund, Teglgårdsvej 100, ☏ . Gourmet restaurant at the waterfront Two courses: DKK 519, six courses DKK 935.
- 4 Café Razz, Havnegade 40 (Right at the waterfront), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Mo-Th 10:00-22:00; Fr 10:00-02:00; Sa 09:00-02:00; Su 09:00-22:00. Nice cafe with outdoor service at the waterfront with a view to both bridges DKK 100.
- Hotel Sixtus, Teglgårdsvej 73. Exclusive Hotel with nice rooms and a unique view over Fænøsund.
- German Consulate (Consul Torben Østergaard-Nielsen), Strandvejen 5, ☏ .
|Routes through Middelfart|
|Kolding ← Fredericia ←||W E||→ Odense → Copenhagen|