Monopoli is a town of 48,000 people (2020) in the province of Bari. Monopoli is an old fishing village with several very picturesque beaches. In comparison to the western side of Italy it retains its Italian old town feel and is relatively untouched by tourism. You are more likely to meet other Italians on holiday here rather than English or Germans.
Monopoli can be easily reached by car or train. Bari is the closest airport/train interchange. Bari Airport to Bari Train station takes about 30 minutes and the train from Bari to Monopoli takes approximately 30 minutes. Monopoli old town is within walking distance of Monopoli train station.
Walking is without any doubt the best way of visiting the old city and its tightened and tangled roads. Although a car could be necessary if you're going to visit the coast or the countryside. From June to August a bus service connects the train station to the beaches in the south of the city.
- Castle of Charles V. Finished in 1525, it has a pentagonal plan. It is on a promontory which was separated from the medieval city. It was restored and enlarged in the 17th century. Starting from the early 19th century, it was used as a jail, a status it kept until 1969. It is the seat of an art exhibition and cultural events.
- Coastal castle of St. Stephen, built by the Norman lord Godfrey of Conversano in 1086. It was later turned into a Benedictine monastery.
- Jerusalem Hospital, founded in 1350 by the Hospitallers
- Monopoli Cathedral (18th century), minor basilica
- Palazzo Palmieri (18th century)
- Monte San Nicola (Mount St. Nicholas) faunal reserve. The reserve, lying on the summit of a hill, 290 metres (950 ft) high in the Murge plateau, is important for the presence of some endemic plants.
- Old city
- Church of S. Domenico
- Sea and beaches
- Basilian underground churches and villages
- Spanish manors
Go to the beach! There are plenty of small beaches (both free beaches and beach clubs) within walking distance south of Monopoli
- Trattoria del Porto, via porto 17, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. M W-Sa 19.00-00:00, Su 12:00-14:00, Tu closed. Taste of Apulia in the quiet atmosphere of the old city. €15-35.
- 1 Bed And Breakfast Mari e Monti (Near Castellana Grotte, Zoosafari and Alberobello), Contrada aratico,352, ☏ , email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 11:00. Contrada aratico. Bed & Breakfast for €30 for person a night. The b&b have a 2 main room, a bedroom, a small kitchen with a fridge, and a small bathroom 25,00.
- La Porta Vecchia, Via Peroscia, 21 (in the old town), ☏ . Excellent B&B centrally located in the old town. €60.