Morotai is an island in the Maluku islands.
A lot of the island is jungle, and parts of it are so isolated that one Japanese soldier from World War II survived here and did not surrender until 1974.
There are bemo going on most roads, and most motorbikes would offer ojek (motorcycle taxi).
The island has some pristine beaches and a few World War II relics.
History and museums
- 1 Amphibious Tank Sites (Situs Tank Amfibi), Gotalamo, Morotai Selatan. A site of Landing Vehicle Tracked Mark 2 was used by US Navy in World War II. Free.
- 2 McArthur Monument, Zum-zum Island.
- 3 Museum Swadaya Perang Dunia Kedua (Private Museum of World War II).
- 4 Nakamura Monument.
- 5 World War II Museum (Museum Perang Dunia II dan Trikora), Wawama, Morotai Selatan. A WWII museum.
- 6 Dodola Island (Pulau Dodola). A white sand island that is separated into two islands in the afternoon because of the tide.
- 7 Gorango Beach (Tanjung Gorango).
- 8 Kokota Waterfall (Air Terjun Kokota).
- 9 Kokoya Island (Pulau Kokoya).
- 10 Kolorai Island (Pulau Kolorai).
- 11 Nunuhu Beach (Pantai Nunuhu).
- 12 Popogu Cave (Wisata Goa Popogu).
- 13 Raja Waterfall (Air Terjun Raja).
- 14 Tabailenge Island (Pulau Tabailenge).
- Freediving or snorkeling in the water around Dodola Island.
- Surfing in Tanjung Sopi.
- Wreck diving in the water of Rorasa Beach.
- Kerajinan Besi Putih (White Iron Craft)
There are a lot of food stalls in Daruba, the capital of Morotai Island. As an island, seafood become one of the specialty dishes in Morotai also local food is influenced by Minahasan and Maluku cuisine. Many other Indonesian cuisines are also available in Morotai such as Buginese, Javanese, also Padang, or Minang food.
Some coffee shops can be found around the city park 1 Taman Morotai Daloha
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:|
|Budget||Less than Rp500,000|
|Splurge||More than Rp1,000,000|
- 1 Moloka'i Hotel Management by Sahid, Juanga, Morotai Selatan (near Ferry Port), ☏ +62 923 222288, firstname.lastname@example.org. A 3-star hotel with swimming pools. From Rp356,881.
- 2 Moro Ma Doto, Buho-buho, Morotai Timur, ☏ +62 811 380 1699. Luxury rooms and the swimming pool facing the coast. From Rp1,822,550.
The telephone area code of Morotai Island is 0923.
- Tobelo — The capital of North Halmahera. 2 hr by ferry.