Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1 Moscow Orphanage (Foundling Home, Vospitatel′nyj dom, Воспитательный дом), Kitay-gorod, Moskvoretskaya naberezhnaya, 1/15, (M:Kitay-gorod 501m S). It was an ambitious project conceived by Catherine the Great and Ivan Betskoy, built in 1764. This was intended to manufacture "ideal citizens" for the Russian state by bringing up thousands of abandoned children to a very high standard of refinement, cultivation, and professional qualifications. - Today, the ensemble of the Orphanage houses the Academy of Missile Forces and Russian Academy of Medicine. - he Orphanage was designed as a chain of three square-shaped buildings: the eastern wing for the girls, the western wing for the boys and the central administration block connecting them. Now building closed and disused.
- 2 Museum of Russian Icon (Музей Русской Иконы), Goncharnaya street (Гончарная улица), 3., building 1, (M: Taganskaya, Marksistskaya), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Th-Tu 11:00-19:00. It is a unique in Russia private collection of Byzantine and Old Russian art Free.
- 3 Bunker-42, Tagansky Protected Command Point (“БУНКЕР-42”), 5th Kotelnichesky lane. (5-й Котельнический пер.), 11 (Metro: Taganskaya), ☏ . Decommissioned Cold War-era Soviet underground military nuclear bunker. The bunker has an actual underground connection to metro Taganskaya station, though it is unusable as a means to get into it) / Marxistkaya. - Its a once-secret military complex, bunker, and Spare Long-Range Aviation Command Post (ET-42). It has an area of 7,000 m² and is situated at a depth of 65 m below ground. Up to 3,000 people could live and work there for 90 days without assistance from the outside world, thanks to stores of food and medicine, an air recycling system and diesel generators.
- 4 Polytechnic Museum (Политехнический музей), Novaya ploshchad'(Новая площадь), 3/4 (Kitay-Gorod 0.2km SE, Lubyanka 0.3km NW, Ploshchad' Revolyutsii 0.5km W, Kuznetskiy Most 0.5km NW), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. In 2013-16 transit period, partly closed!. The museum building in Novaya square in Moscow is a unique architectural monument, built specially for the museum by famous Russian architects. The museum fund of the museum consisted of 230,000 plus items. - A highlight of the museum is the collection of vehicles, including the sections Bicycles, Motorcycles, Cars.
- 5 Shazina Gallery (Галерея Шазина), Pokrovskiy bulvar (Покровский бульвар) 14 (M: Chkalovskaya 0.9km NE, Kitay-Gorod 1,1km W), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Shazina Gallery represents masters of contemporary art in all styles and genres from the end of the 20th century to the beginning of the 21st century.
- 6 Solovetsky Stone (Соловецкий камень), Lubyanskaya ploshchad' (M: Lubyanka 0.1km NW, Kuznetskiy Most 0.4km NW, Kitay-Gorod 0.4km SE, Ploshchad' Revolyutsii 0.5km SW). The monument consists of a large stone brought from the Solovetsky Islands, the location of Solovki prison camp, part of the Soviet Gulag system.
- 7 Choral Synagogue (Московская Хоральная Синагога, (בית הכנסת כורל (מוסקבה), Basmanny District, Bolshoy Spasogolinischevsky Lane (Большой Спасоглинищевский пер.), 10 (Kitai-Gorod Metro station), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. The main synagogue in Russia and in the former Soviet Union. Completed in 1891. Map of Jewish Moscow [dead link]
- 8 Ivanovsky Convent (Ивановский монастырь), Malyy Ivanovskiy pereulok ( Малый Ивановский переулок), 2 (M: Kitay-gorod (Китай-город), Solyanka street, then along Soliansky passage, then along Zabelina street), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Worship M-F 7:30, 16:45; Su 7:30, 8:30, 17:00; M 17:00, The Chapel of John the Forerunner: 8:30-20:00, cathedral 06:30-17:30- The house-church of Saint Elizabeth the Miracle-worker and the convent museum are opened for groups of pilgrims under the preliminary agreement. The excursions are held. - The convent canteen: M-F 08:00-20:00, Sa 09:00-18:00, Su 10:00-17:00. A large Russian Orthodox convent in central Moscow. It is the main shrine of St. John the Baptist in the Russian capital.
- 9 Church of the Archangel Gabriel (Храм архангела Гавриила), Arkhangelsky Lane, 15a (Metro: "Turgenevskaya", "Chistye Prudy"). 1707. Russian Orthodox The tower with two octagonal circles, the extended lower four-cornered circle and a square circle above it seem to run one into another if looked at from the inside of the Church. The Church is 26m in height. The upper part is cross-shaped. The 18th-century sculpture decorations inside the Church, - supporting the dome,- mainly in the forechurch and choir lofts are very sumptuous. An altar plafond is encircled with fruit and flower swags with four angels standing in the dome corners.
- 10 Church of Saint Nicholas in Klyoniki (Храм Николая Чудотворца в Клённиках), Basmanny district, Ulitsa Maroseyka, 3 (Metro: Kitay-Gorod 0.1km W, Lubyanka 0.4km NW, Ploshchad' Revolyutsii 0.8km W). 1657. Russian Orthodox
- 11 Church of the Martyr George the Victorious in Staryye Luchniki (Храм великомученика Георгия Победоносца в Старых Лучниках), Tverskoy district,Lubyanskiy proyezd, 9 (Metro: Kitay-Gorod 0.2km S, Lubyanka 0.3km NW, Kuznetskiy Most 0.7km NW, Ploshchad' Revolyutsii 0.7km W). 1694. Russian Orthodox
- 12 Church of the Holy Trinity on the Mud (Храм Живоначальной Троицы на Грязех), Ulitsa Pokrovka, 13 (Metro: Chistye Prudy & Sretenskiy Bulvar 0.8km NW or Kitay-Gorod 0.9km W). 1861 Russian Orthodox
- 13 Church of the Martyr Theodore of Stratelates (Храм великомученика Феодора Стратилата), Arkhangelskiy pereulok, 15А (Metro: Chistye Prudy 0.3km N, Sretenskiy Bulvar 0.4km N). 1806. Russian Orthodox
- 1 Clean Ponds (Chistye Prudy, Чистые пруды), Basmanny District, Chistoprudnyy bulvar, 12-14 (M: Chistye Prudy 0.8km NW, Sretenskiy Bulvar 0.7km NW, Kitay-Gorod 1.1km SW). The pond was formed by a dam on the Rachka River which used to flow underneath the walls of the White City in the 17th century. The river is nowadays underground, as are the other ponds. The Clean Ponds are fed by a system of waterpipes and home to swans and ducks. In wintertime it is used as a skating rink.
- 1 Comrade Hostel, Maroseyka street 11, 3F (Metro: Kitai-Gorod. In courtyard, second archway left after you pass McDonald's), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 12:00. A nice clean hostel. The owner, Dennis, is really helpful, Dorm bed: 650 руб; Single: 2000 руб; Double: 2500 руб.
- 2 Napoleon Hostel, Maly Zlatoustinskiy 2 (4F) (Metro: Kitay Gorod), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Dorm bed: 450-600 руб.
- 3 Hostel Dom, Podsosenskiy per, 21 stroenie 5 (M: Kurskaya or Chkalovskaya, 5min walk), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12.00. Nice, clean and really cosy hostel located in the centre of the capital’s creative life with the British Higher School of Art and Design, the legendary Solyanka cafe and club, the art and design centres Artplay and Winzavod, Coffee Bean and Kofemania cafe( with the best coffee in Moscow) nearby. Hostel Dom also provides "invitations" for Russian Tourist visas. USD90, dorm: USD30.
- 1 Main Post Office (Почта России), Ul. Myasnitskaya (Мясницкая ул.), 26 (Metro: Christye Prudy), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-F 08:00-20:00, Sa-Su 09:00-19:00. Charge for international postcards: ordinary 27.14 руб, by air 31 руб, registered 95 руб. More charges - At the first hall, (Zal no.1) is where you can buy stamps (marki) and send packages of printed material. The travel time is around two to three weeks. For a parcel of non-printed material, try other office, which has a separate entrance to the main building.