Zelenograd and New Moscow are two large parts of Moscow city, that lie (often far) outside consolidated residential zone of the city, which lies within and just beyond the MKAD (Moscow Ring Road).
Zelenograd was added in Moscow in 1968 as one of the leading scientific centers. New Moscow was added to Moscow in 2012, forming Novomoskovky and Troitskiy Administrativniy Okrugs with plans of new vast expansion. New Moscow territory is yet to change according to its new city status. Even though suburbial kind construction intensifies in Novomoskovsky Administrativniy Okrug, Troitskiy Administrativniy Okrug still mostly has a rural feel.
Vnukovo and Ostafyevo airports are situated in New Moscow proper, though from Ostafyevo airport you still have to go through the "old" Moscow. It is possible to get from Sheremetyevo to Zelenograd without going to the old city - you have to change to 400 minibus on Leningrad highway or on local train on Planernaya. From Domodedovo airport you'll have to go through the old city anyway (the route through Domodedovo and Podolsk will take more time).
Local trains connect Zelenograd with Leningrad Train Station, Tver, Klin and Konakovo. Local trains from Kiev Train Station pass through northern part of New Moscow between Novoperedelkino and Krekshino. To go to Zosimova Pustyn you may want to go all the way to Bekasovo, but trains there are infrequent. It is possible to get to New Moscow through Podolsk, but you'll have to change to bus there.
Most frequent bus to Zelenograd is bus 400 from Rechnoi Vokzal. It has special pricing. Buses are primary way of public transport to get to New Moscow, new buses are often added. Most buses start from Yugo-Zapadnaya and Tepliy Stan metroes, and Podolsk train station. Troitsk serves as a bus hub.
Zelenograd is accessible by M10 highway. Major highways in New Moscow are M3, A101, Warsaw highway Podolsk - Kresty (joining with A101), first "Beton Ring" A107 and Borovsk highway Peredelkino - Vnukovo - to join with M3. M10 and A101 are often highly congested, M3 may be less prone to it, except Moscow vicinity, and crossing with A107, A107 is congested near M3 crossing, which is northwest of New Moscow; Warsaw highway is congested in Podolsk, and you'll have to pass congested M2 to get there from MKAD.
- Ostaf'yevo estate and museum.
- Zosimova pustyn'.
- Voskresenki estate in Ptichnoe village.
- Valuevo estate (no admission).
- Voronovo estate.
- Talalikhin monument.
- 1 Ugresha Monastery (Николо-Угрешский монастырь), - Dzerzhinsky suburb, Svyatitelya Nikolaya ploshchad(пл. Свт. Николая), 1 (M: Krasnogvardeyskaya 6.1km W, Bratislavskaya 7.0km NW; from M: Kuzminki take bus 470; or M: Lublin take bus. 305; or from Kazan train station to Ploshchad Lyubertsy and bus 20, 21; ALL to the stop Svyatitelya Nikolaya ploshchad), ☏ +7 495 551-2643, firstname.lastname@example.org. A walled stauropegic Russian Orthodox monastery of St. Nicholas the Miracle-Worker located in a suburb of Moscow formerly known as Ugreshi and now called Dzerzhinsky. - Existed as early as 1521, when the Tatar horde of Mehmed I Giray reduced Ugreshi to ashes. The old katholikon of St. Nicholas (later destroyed by the Soviets) was built in the 16th century, rebuilt in 2003 . The Ugreshi Monastery was one of the walled abbeys defending approaches to the Russian capital from the south. - A late legend attributes its foundation to Dmitry Donskoy who, on his way to the Kulikovo Field, is supposed to have made a stay there and determined to give a decisive battle to the Tatars after seeing an image of St. Nicholas in a pious dream for this reason founded here the monastery. - Tsar Alexis habited here several times a year. - The great katholikon (main church) of the monastery was built to a Russian-Byzantine design by Alexander Kaminsky between 1880 and 1894. It is one of the largest churches in the Moscow region and has a set of new frescoes dating from 2009. - After the Russian Revolution, the monastery were given over to a children labour colony in 1920. The monastery fully restored and operates several museums, including one dedicated to Nicholas II of Russia. There is a new seminary on the grounds.
- 1 Angstrem Stadium (Футбольный стадион «Ангстрем»), Ozernaya alleya, 4/5 (M: Planernaya 19km SE further bus 400 to Zelenograd). A football stadium in Zelenograd, Staroye Kryukovo District. It is the home stadium of FC Zelenograd.
- 2 Moscow International Automobile Salon or MIAS, Crocus Expo IEC (Московский Международный Автомобильный Салон), Trade and exhibition complex, 65-66th km Moscow Ring Road, Building #2 (M: Myakinino. - By car: crossing of Moscow City Ring (inner side, 66 km) and Volokolamskoe shosse.), ☏ +7 495 727-2424, email@example.com. It is the biennial auto show held at Crocus Expo (Крокус Экспо) in Moscow suburb. The show is scheduled by the Organisation Internationale des Constructeurs d'Automobiles, which considers it a major international auto show. The organizers are the Association of Russian Carmakers NP and the Expo Centre.
- 1 IKEA chain, Mega Khimki unit (IKEA, магазин товаров для дома), Khimki, microraion № 8, building 1 (M: Rechnoy Vokzal 7.6km), ☏ +7 495 737 5329. – There are more two large Ikea stores in Moscow, all just outside the ring road, and located in large shopping malls (MEGA, also operated by IKEA). They all offer free bright yellow buses from the nearest metro stations. Metro: Lyublino or Kuzminki (South-East), Tyopliy Stan (South).
- 1 Silky Way, 45 Lenina Street, pos. Oktyabrskiy, Lyuberetskiy District (~15km SE from city limit, Malakhovka train station), ☏ +7 495 225 2002. Silky Way proudly stands in an area that was once part of the Great Silk Road. It offers cozy rooms, all of which have air-conditioner, cable TV, mini-bar, and refrigerator. Some of its amenities are restaurant and bar, fitness room/gym, and high-speed Internet access. Sgl 3500-4500 руб; dbl. 4800-10000 руб.
- 2 Hotel-Vintage, Leningradskoe shosse 297 (10 km (6.2 mi) NW from MKAD), ☏ +7 495 943-76-59. 24h. Just 5 km (3.1 mi) away Sheremetievo Airport. Free Wi-Fi, satellite TV and a private bathroom. A continental breakfast is available on request in the Vintage’s breakfast room. Room service is available and packed lunches can be organised for day trips. Safe deposit box and free newspapers. 2700-3600 руб.