The end of the monsoon season is the best time to go to Mount Abu. After the rainy season the complete beauty of this place can be experienced due to the lush green surroundings. Make a point to carry warm clothes when you visit in this season as it gets a bit cold in the night.
Mount Abu is a part of the Sirohi district of Rajasthan. The nearest railhead is Abu Road, about 25km away, in the lowlands. Abu Road is on the railway line from Ahmedabad to Marwar Junction (onwards to Jaipur and Delhi or Jodhpur).
At Abu Road railway station, car-taxis and cabs are available as well as state transport and private buses to take you to Mt Abu. Most of these don't operate in the evenings due to local problems and this creates difficulty in finding transportation. Try to avoid travelling in the evenings.
- Rent a bike in Mount Abu at around ₹200-300 per day (fuel charges extra). This offers a cheap and flexible mode of moving around the town. Exploring Mount Abu on a motor bike is probably the best option if you are an adventure lover. Every destination in Mount Abu is easily accessible by motorbike.
You can rent a car for c. ₹1,000 per day which should get you to most of the tourist sights.
- Achalgarh: A short distance away, a fort built in the 14th century by Rana Kumbha of Mewar. Also houses Jain temples, Achaleswar Mahadev Temple (1412AD) and the Kantinath Temple (1513AD). If you are an adventure lover then this place will provide you a good spot for hiking. Instead of taking usual routes hike for the temple and you will love it.
- Adhar Devi Temple
- Brahma Kumaris Meditaton Centre(Mount Abu is their world headquarters) They are very eager to preach their religion of peace and universal brotherhood. Visitors are offered free food and accommodation and they will show you their museum and the meditation methods.
- Dilwara Temples: Beautiful Jain temples, carved of white marble, built between the 11th and 13th centuries.
- Guru Shikhar: At 1,722m above sea level, this is the highest peak of the Aravali range. This is one of the most beautiful spots in Mount Abu.
- Gyan Sarovar
- Honeymoon Point
- Nakki Lake: A beautiful lake surrounded by hills on all sides. It is said that various gods dig the earth with their nails (nakh in Hindi) and that's how it derive its name. One can enjoy boating in the lake. Charges are normally ₹75 for half an hour for a 2 seater paddle boat and ₹150 for half an hour for a 4 seater paddle boat.
- Peace Park
- Shanker Math
- Shri Raghunathji Temple
- Sunset Point: At sunset point the view is mesmerizing.
- Toadrock: A rock naturally shaped in the form of a toad due to wind erosion.
- Trevors Tank: Trevor’s Tank is a picturesque location just 5km from the main town of Mount Abu, and one of the Mount Abu region’s most popular tourist destinations. It is a nature lover’s paradise that is named after the British engineer who built it.
Enjoy the beauty of nature, spiritual university, and temples.
Mount Abu is a very good place for both vegetarians and non-vegetarians. There are lush restaurants like Mulbery in the Hotel Hilltone, Restaurant at Hotel Hillock and in the Market Area. You can enjoy your food at Hotel Shere-e-Punjab - A Dhhabba Type hotel famous for its mouth watering chicken Kadhai,Dhaba Gosht, Chicken lollypop, Chicken 65 etc.
"Honest Restaurant" is a new addition in Mount Abu and its located near Nakki Lake. If you want really delicious and quality food then its a place for you to eat.
There are many ice cream shops near Nakki Lake, they provide a wide variety of delicious ice creams. If you are in Mount Abu then these ice creams are must try.
There are some Roadside Laaris who also serve tasty Food but, they don't serve very Hygienic food.
You can have a good variety of all types of Pans at the Pan Shops across the hill station.
There are huge options for restaurants in which you take your bottles and relax with your drink. You can also order your meal there. It is nice place where you can drink and eat. There are three or four more restaurants which offer such a service. There are two liquor shops in the main market near the Eiffel Tower.
- [dead link] Akhey Vilas (Mount Abu), Near Gujarat Circuit House, Kumarwara (Delwara Road), ☎ . Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 12:00. Dates back to 1924. Works as a small boutique hotel, or a private retreat in the hills. Families or small groups rent the bungalow for a personal and private experience. Consists of a living room, verandah, a dining shack and 6 guest rooms with attached baths, hot and cold water, LCD television with DTH services and other amenities.
- Hotel Lake Palace (overlooking Nakki Lake). c. ₹1,000.
- Hotel New Nakki Vihar (opposite Nakki Lake), ☎ . A budget hotel with good and homely environment. Few rooms facing Nakki Lake as well. Always better to give a call before reaching to confirm the availability. c. ₹500-700.
- [dead link] Hotel Jaisalmer Palace (Near Fort), ☎ . A Heritage hotel with good and homely environment. Few rooms facing fort as well. Always better to give a call before reaching to confirm the availability. ₹1,500-3,000.